Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-16-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
64 vs 32 gB memory cards

I stocked up on Class 10 64 gB memory cards at some of the on-line sales this month, and now outfitted all my digital cameras with the 64/10s, kinda case of overkill, but still nice. However, I found that the old K-20 will not accept the 64s, but will take a 32 gB card. I suspect it is due to firmware, and wonder if anyone else has had the same experience and/or can confirm.

12-16-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SD cards go up to 2Gb, SDHC cards go up to 32Gb, SDXC cards go up to 2Tb.

The SDXC limit is kind of scary. I remember people buying 1Gb cards because they didn't trust putting so much data on just one card.
12-16-2014, 09:14 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
64 vs 32 gB memory cards
I can remember the day when the maximum number of images was about 38 (without bulk backs) before you had to change something... think it was called film back then.
12-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I can remember the day when the maximum number of images was about 38 (without bulk backs) before you had to change something... think it was called film back then.
That's nothing ... when I was a lad ...

In fact, on my first camera, I could only take eight images per roll of film. I'm not quite old enough to remember changing individual photographic plates, though.

12-16-2014, 09:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I stocked up on Class 10 64 gB memory cards at some of the on-line sales this month, and now outfitted all my digital cameras with the 64/10s, kinda case of overkill, but still nice. However, I found that the old K-20 will not accept the 64s, but will take a 32 gB card. I suspect it is due to firmware, and wonder if anyone else has had the same experience and/or can confirm.
Don't think that Ricoh is interested in updating the firmware of the k-20 which is many iterations old (even if the hardware is possible) - supporting SDHC (max 32GB) is already quite advanced of its time.
12-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

That was only if you insisted on FF.

The crop sensor gave you twice as much:

https://www.cameraquest.com/nffm2half.htm
12-16-2014, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by NeilGratton Quote
That's nothing ... when I was a lad ...
This is beginning to sound a bit like the "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch from Monty Python.

---------- Post added 16th Dec 2014 at 04:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
That was only if you insisted on FF.
FF or nothing, do or die stuff me.

12-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Strange directions

I have obviously started a very strange thread!
12-16-2014, 10:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have obviously started a very strange thread!
I just have a question, not strange, but slightly off topic. Which 64GB cards did you get and how do they perform with your K-3. I have a 32GB Sandisk Extreme (95MB/s) and it was the fastest card I could find in real-world use, not just on a spec sheet (tested a few). I know specification-wise many cards can should keep up, but in real-world use it's a different story. I had a Transcend with similar specs and it was much, much slower than the Sandisk. Problem is the Sandisk Extreme 64GB is out of the range I want to spend. I saw some Sandisks with lower MB/s rates for a great price during the Black Friday sales, that on paper should be sufficient to keep up with the K-3, but a hesitated because I'm happy with the performance that I've got. Extra storage is also nice to have....just in case. Basically, what I'm getting at is that SD card performance varies so much, specs can not be relied on, and I just want to get the best bang for my buck.
12-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Buy two 32GB cards and use in parallel if you can (K-3).
Or shoot half pictures on one and half on the other (odd and even days, for instance), esp. if you cannot do a daily backup.
Always be paranoid, you'll be less likely to be sorry...
12-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Early cameras (the kind with 16 MB cards) were like that too...
12-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sony Mavica anyone? 12 images per floppy disk if I remember right. Those were fun days.

Re 64gb though, who would use that? On k-3 that would be 2,000 images I think. Video I can understand but I cannot ever see myself shooting that many images without downloading to the computer.

What circumstances do folks have that would require that?
12-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #13

I have a 64gig sd, worst mistake ever lol. Went on holiday shot a ton of pictures. Spent days going through them all.

In the future I think I'm sticking to 16-32 at the most.
12-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Sony Mavica anyone? 12 images per floppy disk if I remember right. Those were fun days.
That's funny. My mom loved that camera and still raves about it today. Even after I got her a k-x. Don't get me wrong, she loves the k-x but still doesn't stop her from talking about the mavica.

---------- Post added 12-16-14 at 01:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Re 64gb though, who would use that? On k-3 that would be 2,000 images I think. Video I can understand but I cannot ever see myself shooting that many images without downloading to the computer.
Another temporary form of backup, even after downloading to computer (and a secondary external hard drive in my case). Also, good when mixing photo and video as video eats up a lot of space. I prefer photo and have gotten away from video for the most part. But wife isn't on the same page, she needs to see video of certain things.
12-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

With the K-3, I find that 32GB is the perfect size. Its about 600 RAW images, which is about what I get from one fully charged battery.

I use Delkin Devices brand 32GB cards, the SD 633x variety. They claim 95MB/S read and 80MB/S write speed. I initially bought them for my Canon 70D because slower cards would cause video to stall. I no longer have the Canon and now know I have no use for video, but they are screaming-fast in the USB 3 card reader.

The Sony Mavica was revolutionary in its day. I loved that camera for what it did: saved images to portable media. Prior to that, posting stuff on ebay was a once-a-week event because I had to have enough items to shoot a whole roll of film, shoot the pics, drop them off, pick them up the next day, scan them and post them, regardless of how they came out. Nowadays, cell-phone cameras have made posting awful pictures to ebay an almost instantaneous experience.