Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These are fantastic! I especially love the third one! Great stuff!!

I used matrix mode for my eagle shots. I had a nice sunny day with blue skies and colorful backgrounds, though. Had it been overcast and dull, I think center-weight or spot might work better. I'm not sure. I usually leave mine on matrix all the time.

Interesting that you saw no difference when you turned SR off. I have set up a User mode on my K-30 that has my eagle settings ready to go, including SR turned off. I'm planning on going back in March, so we'll see how that works out.

You should be very happy with these!

01-18-2015, 12:38 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
These are fantastic! I especially love the third one! Great stuff!!

I used matrix mode for my eagle shots. I had a nice sunny day with blue skies and colorful backgrounds, though. Had it been overcast and dull, I think center-weight or spot might work better. I'm not sure. I usually leave mine on matrix all the time.

Interesting that you saw no difference when you turned SR off. I have set up a User mode on my K-30 that has my eagle settings ready to go, including SR turned off. I'm planning on going back in March, so we'll see how that works out.

You should be very happy with these!
Thanks for the kind words. I've become very critical when evaluating my eagle shots. This location is extremely popular during "eagle season" and after seeing what other local photographers are getting here, I've come to realize that I have a long way to go. My images do make me smile and I'm pleased that I'm improving.

The third image is a moderate to heavy crop. I hit the focus pretty well, I love the detail in the talons and that the fish is visible near the surface. The fourth image is also cropped quite a bit. I like how the left wing tip is touching the water. The second image is probably my favorite. I love the way the tail feathers are dragging in the water and leaving a small wake. Unfortunately I missed the focus on this one. It's not very noticeable in the re-sized image but at 1:1 on the original, it's obvious. Also this image isn't cropped at all (other than going from 3/2 aspect ration to 4/3), the eagle was quite close. The first image is barely cropped, the bird is flying towards me and I hit the focus and exposure reasonably well. I think it has the most potential, with some better post processing.

When you refer to "matrix mode" are you referring to exposure or autofocus? I'm assuming exposure but I wasn't sure.

On SR, what I noticed was that the SR icon in the viewfinder (that shows when SR is active?) would turn off when I panned. My impression was that the camera (K-50) knew there was too much movement and was automatically disabling SR. Maybe that's not how it works but it's something to look at the next time you're out.

Do you shoot RAW or JPEG? I've tried both but mostly I just shoot jpeg. The problem I have with RAW is that the camera has trouble keeping up and starts to bog down when shooting high speed continuous. This isn't much of a problem with jpeg (I use a SanDisk Pixtor 80MB/s card).
01-18-2015, 02:40 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's great you can get that close to the eagles!

Yes, I mean exposure mode -- matrix or "pattern" is what I was using.

I shoot RAW. No, you can't fit as many in the buffer, but the advantages in post-processing are worth it to me.

You are doing great, can't wait to see more!
01-27-2015, 01:31 AM   #19

There's some a amazing image'section of birds you guys rock. . I hope I can capture equally stunning photos