Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #1

Pentax k3 air felt through the viewfinder when zooming...

Hello, I recently bought a K3 with the kit lens 18-135mm. Now I've noticed air rushing through the viewfinder when zooming, the faster the zoom the more audible the air is. Is this normal or do I have a seal issue? Further more when I open other ports ie. headjack port the air seem to redirect though the open port. Thank you... bare with me I'm a newbie to Pentax...

12-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's normal for a weather sealed camera/lens combo, since the air has got to escape somewhere as you zoom

After a little bit of use (due to wear), the air should start escaping through the lens instead, so you won't feel it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That should be normal.

As you zoom in and out, you'll have to suck and displace air. The air has to go in and out somewhere.

-edit-

Adam beats me to it.
12-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
Adam & Drypenn, thank you...
though should I be concerned about moisture/water, dust, getting into the camera through the viewfinder?

12-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TheDude1363 Quote
Adam & Drypenn, thank you...
though should I be concerned about moisture/water, dust, getting into the camera through the viewfinder?
No.

Still, it's prudent to avoid water and shelter it from rain.

As to dust, don't worry, it will always find its way inside no matter what you do. Set your dust removal system every time you switch on your camera or every time you change lens. It should help.
12-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TheDude1363 Quote
Just be aware of the air issue when in dusty/wet etc conditions, and don't do a lot of quick zooming in and out. Zoom slow.

If you shoot primes, by the way, there is nothing like the same push-pull of air, hence no issue.

FYI, other camera makers who offer weather resistant bodies and weather resistant zooms have to deal with the same issue. Fujifilm deals with it, for example, by having a valve or 'ventilator' arrangement at the base of their XF 18-135 F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR zoom to help the lens 'breath'.
12-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you guy's, I can sleep better knowing that lol... cheers

12-18-2014, 06:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
mmm.....camera flatulence ....... every body has it......
12-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #9

Original Poster
Nicely played.....