Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #1

First DA* Lens (Possible) Issue

So I just bought my DA* Lens (used) from Amazon's Warehouse Deals and at first, it wouldn't autofocus. Now it's auto focusing and it works great, super silent. But i can twist my focus ring endlessly. Is that twist normal or not? To clarify more, the focus would stop at INFINITY to 1ft/0.3m but i can still spin the focus ring. So i was wondering if that spinning is normal

12-18-2014, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hmong_Xiong Quote
So I just bought my DA* Lens (used) from Amazon's Warehouse Deals and at first, it wouldn't autofocus. Now it's auto focusing and it works great, super silent. But i can twist my focus ring endlessly. Is that twist normal or not? To clarify more, the focus would stop at INFINITY to 1ft/0.3m but i can still spin the focus ring. So i was wondering if that spinning is normal
That is normal for the DA* lenses
12-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
That is normal for the DA* lenses
So you're telling me that I just scored a working DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 for ~$500?
That's awesome!! You don't know how happy I really am
12-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So you're telling me that I just scored a working DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 for ~$500?
That's awesome!! You don't know how happy I really am
You can also check against the serial number list here.
If the serial number of the lens corresponds to dates closer to recent batches, chance of having SDM failure could be minimized. It is definitely a good price for a working copy; use it more so you can get comfortable with it. I have an earliest version of this lens (SDM motor fixed and no problem since then) and it is workhorse for me for any event/stage gigs. Enjoy!!

12-19-2014, 12:01 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is also an extremely helpful thread on PF on how to deactivate SDM and allow for screw drive autofocus when your SDM fails. And I say "when" because mine failed twice but works perfectly as a screw drive lens. So you did good. It's a great lens.
12-19-2014, 07:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You say at first it wouldn't autofocus. Sounds like the early stages of SDM failure.
12-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
You say at first it wouldn't autofocus. Sounds like the early stages of SDM failure.
Or early stage of "oops I had the MF switch turned on"

Most modern lenses don't have a hard stop at infinity, or anywhere else. You'll feel a little different resistance when you spin the focus outside of the range it actually focuses in, but it doesn't do anything.

12-19-2014, 01:09 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I really hope not :3

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Or early stage of "oops I had the MF switch turned on"

Most modern lenses don't have a hard stop at infinity, or anywhere else. You'll feel a little different resistance when you spin the focus outside of the range it actually focuses in, but it doesn't do anything.
I had both AF switches on but it still didnt focus and i got really frustrated,

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
There is also an extremely helpful thread on PF on how to deactivate SDM and allow for screw drive autofocus when your SDM fails. And I say "when" because mine failed twice but works perfectly as a screw drive lens. So you did good. It's a great lens.
Ok thanks man