QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
K100D & K01 manuals

Function Reference;

The date and time selected in “Initial Settings” (p.33) serve as the date and
time of your present location.
Setting [World Time] enables you to display the local date and time on the
LCD monitor when traveling overseas.

Hope this clarifies it for you.
I was talking about the impact on EXIF data, which is non-existent.

---------- Post added 12-21-14 at 10:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
If you check the setting on the O-GPS1, it will update the UTC time appropriately. I do this routinely with my cameras. I believe cell phones are always synced to UTC and then the offset is applied.
It's of no consequence if the result is the same... pictures taken with a cellphone camera also conform to EXIF and IPTC standards, so the issue is the same, and it's not Pentax's fault.
After all, the surge of the exchange of information over the internet, and I'm talking mainly about social media, happened after the EXIF standard was established (1998), and it's derived from the TIFF metadata structure, which is even older (1992)...
Time for a revision?

12-21-2014, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I was talking about the impact on EXIF data, which is non-existent.
Yep, changing your Time Zone settings has no impact on exif It's sole purpose at present in camera is to act a a world clock for time reference when one travels. When one selects the time zone settings as you have discovered it does not change the camera date/time settings which needs to be changed independently for any exif data changes. Would it be convenient if it did you bet but currently the only way both change concurrently, with some newer Pentax models, is via using an O-GPS .

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 12-21-2014 at 07:25 AM.
12-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Yep, changing your Time Zone settings has no impact on exif It's sole purpose at present in camera is to act a a world clock for time reference when one travels.
It depends if you set the 'world time' to 'home' or 'destination'. In the latter case the EXIF time is changed.
12-21-2014, 08:29 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
It depends if you set the 'world time' to 'home' or 'destination'. In the latter case the EXIF time is changed.
Well, I actually set the time to destination (the plane icon).
Time was changed but there's no provision for a "timezone" tag in the EXIF specification... so the cataloging software has no way of knowing where is that local time from...

12-21-2014, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
It would be a nice feature if the cameras had a GPS type of feature that added that data to the image files
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
If you check the setting on the O-GPS1, it will update the UTC time appropriately.
The exif standard makes provision for GPS data and UTC timestamps are applied to those exif fields for cameras with GPS. This is separate from the capture date/time or modified date/time. Exif also provides for a timezone offset, but it applies (when present) to the modified date/time only.

Steve
12-21-2014, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

I don't have an O-GPS1, but there's still this issue... suppose I take a picture on a plane (not too far-fetched), cross the timezone westward, take another picture.
The two will be scrambled unless there's a timezone metadata, because it will appear that the second one had been taken 59' before the first one...

Edit: we'd need something like this:
1. a tag for the timestamp (already there)
2. a tag for the timezone (1-40 integer)
3. a tag for DST (boolean)
then we'd be pretty much ok... we'd just need to remember to set the camera... ^_^

If you always use GMT you resolve the pickle with times, you can always get local time from GMT. You avoid daylight saving issues as well. In your example the second photo would correctly have a time after the first.
12-21-2014, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I find that the easiest way is to take a shot of a convenient clock/mobile/GPS and then set the timezone etc automatically when I synch the geotags with Geosetter later.
12-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
If you always use GMT you resolve the pickle with times, you can always get local time from GMT. You avoid daylight saving issues as well. In your example the second photo would correctly have a time after the first.
Ok, but you would have to look for time and make the calculations every time.
Not a bad suggestion though.

---------- Post added 12-21-14 at 10:21 PM ----------

I find that the easiest way is to take a shot of a convenient clock/mobile/GPS and then set the timezone etc automatically when I synch the geotags with Geosetter later.
This is something I will definitely look into.

---------- Post added 12-21-14 at 10:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The exif standard makes provision for GPS data and UTC timestamps are applied to those exif fields for cameras with GPS. This is separate from the capture date/time or modified date/time. Exif also provides for a timezone offset, but it applies (when present) to the modified date/time only.

Steve
Interesting. Will try Geotag or, as kh1234567890 suggested, Geosetter.

12-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #24
Pentaxian

or, as kh1234567890 suggested, Geosetter.
If you want to try Geosetter, use the beta version from the German download page
12-22-2014, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

With Silkypix? is there anyway to do that with a non-proprietary solution (EXIFTool & EXIFToolGUI, for instance)?
Haven't read through the full thread, yet, but I suggest using GeoSetter. It's a free program that makes for a nice GUI for ExifTool that focuses on location type metdata. It has the ability to shift Exif Time stamps as you need to including simple methods of changing things relative. I know I've had to do it on occasions as I generally don't worry much about time zones and often forget to adjust my camera for Daylight Savings Time.

It essentially runs as a nice program for Geo Tagging that also works as a GUI for ExifTool. I like it for mass editing time data and location data.
12-23-2014, 02:45 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
It essentially runs as a nice program for Geo Tagging that also works as a GUI for ExifTool. I like it for mass editing time data and location data.
Geosetter also has a nice feature of checking at startup for ExifTool updates and downloading them.
12-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Geosetter also has a nice feature of checking at startup for ExifTool updates and downloading them.
That is true. It's worth noting that a lot of freeware uses ExifTool, but they often install their own instances of ExifTool, which I think is to be recommended. ExifTool is such a small program and each software has its own way of using it (when they use it) that it's worth installing everything as default and updating ExifTool when asked.
12-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
That is true. It's worth noting that a lot of freeware uses ExifTool, but they often install their own instances of ExifTool, which I think is to be recommended. ExifTool is such a small program and each software has its own way of using it (when they use it) that it's worth installing everything as default and updating ExifTool when asked.
Personally I prefer to keep just one copy of the latest ExifTool version and point everything that needs it to that.
12-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Personally I prefer to keep just one copy of the latest ExifTool version and point everything that needs it to that.
Yeah... I've had programs crash because of that. Not all programs are as forward thinking as GeoSetter. I have a few that hick-up if they don't take care of the updating themselves or they don't like the version of ExifTool that is there. I've never figured out why, but so it has gone. Generally, these types of programs are freeware, so they aren't always as up to date as ExifTool is. GeoSetter is actually one of the only programs I have that keeps ExifTool up to date and uses it. Perhaps they realize nothing much changes.