Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2014, 04:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Timezone mess

Hi all,
I ran into an issue and wanted to see what's your regular practice about that.

I expected that, by setting the time in camera (the location and the time of both the "home" and the "travel" time) I would have pictures tagged with a date/time and an appropriate offset tag (e.g. UTC+2). Not the case.
Apparently the EXIF specification doesn't even contemplate a timezone tag, while the IPTC TimeCreated timestamp is set to xx:xx:xx +00:00, irrespective of what I did set in-camera.
Back at the home airport I reset the clock (didn't make much sense to chase the timezone changes mid-flight), and sure enough the pictures I took at the airport were mixed up with the others before (I was traveling westward).

Questions:
1. What the heck is the in-camera timezone setting for, if it doesn't do anything? only for "convenience"?
2. What do you do with respect to camera time settings and tagging when you frequently change timezones?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by LensBeginner; 12-20-2014 at 05:03 AM.
12-20-2014, 06:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I find In the case of travel or most any other time it's easier adjusting the time/date via the menus "Date Adjustment" instead of trying to change it via the menus " World Time" once the camera has been set up for my home time.
12-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The problem is not adjusting the time per se, the problem is maintaining coherence between timezones, and finding a way to get that info into the metadata (hopefully with each picture showing the local time)...

Apparently (correct me if I'm wrong) the "World time" is just a shortcut to set the time, but all it does is allow you to get back to "home time" with a single click, instead of having to fidget with the hour (and date if you're crossing midnight) again.
It would have been better if there was a system that tagged the photos appropriately with local time and UTC offset, so that the timeline would have been coherent when importing in your favorite cataloging software.

This should be a 1914 issue, not a 2014 one...
12-20-2014, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I looked up references to world time in my K-50 menu and was surprised. Apparently if you put a destination in, it sets the video output format to the country you are going to. Meaning if you live in the USA and travel to Europe, it will output your video to PAL instead of NTSC. I totally do not understand the point of that so I must not be understanding it right. I have to read this again, seems totally useless.

12-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I looked up references to world time in my K-50 menu and was surprised. Apparently if you put a destination in, it sets the video output format to the country you are going to. Meaning if you live in the USA and travel to Europe, it will output your video to PAL instead of NTSC. I totally do not understand the point of that so I must not be understanding it right. I have to read this again, seems totally useless.
Bass-ackwards...
So it does everything except what it's supposed to do..?
12-20-2014, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I have to read this again, seems totally useless.
I guess that is why I have never used this feature.

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
It would have been better if there was a system that tagged the photos appropriately with local time and UTC offset
I totally agree, either that or set local time with UTC offset in camera, but store UTC in the base exif and the offset in the makernotes.

Steve
12-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I guess that is why I have never used this feature.

I totally agree, either that or set local time with UTC offset in camera, but store UTC in the base exif and the offset in the makernotes.

Steve
This way if I ever wanted to know what the local time was I'd have to do check two metadata fields & do the math?
Looks like UTC is the still the best choice for timestamps...
Thanks for your input.

12-20-2014, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #8
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
The problem is not adjusting the time per se, the problem is maintaining coherence between timezones, and finding a way to get that info into the metadata (hopefully with each picture showing the local time)...

Apparently (correct me if I'm wrong) the "World time" is just a shortcut to set the time, but all it does is allow you to get back to "home time" with a single click, instead of having to fidget with the hour (and date if you're crossing midnight) again.
It would have been better if there was a system that tagged the photos appropriately with local time and UTC offset, so that the timeline would have been coherent when importing in your favorite cataloging software.

When I was driving Big Trucks I would cross timezones frequently, sometimes two in the same day. In five years I never bothered with the settings in my cameras.

It would be a nice feature if the cameras had a GPS type of feature that added that data to the image files, similar to the way that today's cell phones (smart phones) can show a location. Having those types of geographic tags would help later on with remembering where a photo was made. In five years and nearly 750,000 miles I covered a lot of ground and shot a few thousand pictures. When I look at them some do not have the kind of subjects that readily help me know where I was at during the instant that the shutter clicked.

But I suppose for a camera to add the geographic location information they might need a GPS device built in or be able to communicate with the cell phone communications networks.

*sigh*

{EDIT} I was just thinking, if one used the O-GPS1 accessory wouldn't that add the tags you are looking for?
12-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
When I was driving Big Trucks I would cross timezones frequently, sometimes two in the same day. In five years I never bothered with the settings in my cameras.

It would be a nice feature if the cameras had a GPS type of feature that added that data to the image files, similar to the way that today's cell phones (smart phones) can show a location. Having those types of geographic tags would help later on with remembering where a photo was made. In five years and nearly 750,000 miles I covered a lot of ground and shot a few thousand pictures. When I look at them some do not have the kind of subjects that readily help me know where I was at during the instant that the shutter clicked.

But I suppose for a camera to add the geographic location information they might need a GPS device built in or be able to communicate with the cell phone communications networks.

*sigh*

{EDIT} I was just thinking, if one used the O-GPS1 accessory wouldn't that add the tags you are looking for?
Actually it's much easier (& cheaper) than that...
1. Sync camera clock and smartphone clock
2. Log a .gpx track with smartphone (for instance Google MyTracks, which is free)
3. Automatically geotag all pics by giving the .gpx track to a software like Geotag.

The issue is not with GPS location tags, but with timezone and timecodes.
12-20-2014, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you check the setting on the O-GPS1, it will update the UTC time appropriately. I do this routinely with my cameras. I believe cell phones are always synced to UTC and then the offset is applied.
12-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
If you check the setting on the O-GPS1, it will update the UTC time appropriately. I do this routinely with my cameras. I believe cell phones are always synced to UTC and then the offset is applied.
I don't have an O-GPS1, but there's still this issue... suppose I take a picture on a plane (not too far-fetched), cross the timezone westward, take another picture.
The two will be scrambled unless there's a timezone metadata, because it will appear that the second one had been taken 59' before the first one...

Edit: we'd need something like this:
1. a tag for the timestamp (already there)
2. a tag for the timezone (1-40 integer)
3. a tag for DST (boolean)
then we'd be pretty much ok... we'd just need to remember to set the camera... ^_^

Last edited by LensBeginner; 12-20-2014 at 01:15 PM.
12-20-2014, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

When I travel it is often across many time zones (I normally do not bother if driving because it changes by half hour) but flying it can be a different date and massively different time. I have the camera set to my home time. Then I use the travel adjustment which results in file creation dates and times according to home timezone but the display time in SilkyPix being the date and time at the destination. I find that handy since many of the pictures I take are of events and it is nice to have a direct correlation of the display date and time and the event program (the events are multi-day.
12-20-2014, 01:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
When I travel it is often across many time zones (I normally do not bother if driving because it changes by half hour) but flying it can be a different date and massively different time. I have the camera set to my home time. Then I use the travel adjustment which results in file creation dates and times according to home timezone but the display time in SilkyPix being the date and time at the destination. I find that handy since many of the pictures I take are of events and it is nice to have a direct correlation of the display date and time and the event program (the events are multi-day.
With Silkypix? is there anyway to do that with a non-proprietary solution (EXIFTool & EXIFToolGUI, for instance)?
12-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #14
Pentaxian

K100D & K01 manuals

Function Reference;

The date and time selected in “Initial Settings” (p.33) serve as the date and
time of your present location.
Setting [World Time] enables you to display the local date and time on the
LCD monitor when traveling overseas.

Hope this clarifies it for you.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 12-20-2014 at 05:06 PM.
12-20-2014, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

With Silkypix? is there anyway to do that with a non-proprietary solution (EXIFTool & EXIFToolGUI, for instance)?

I do not know. I have only used SilkyPix bundled with the camera.