Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #1

what to do with my DSLR shots?

Happy Christmas everyone!!!!

In the film days I used to shoot a roll of film. Send it by post to Trueprint for the cheapest prints, then look at the prints and the ones that were ok for framing would have the negative sent back for blowing up.
Having tried cloud storage and storage sticks and CD's I find that photos never get looked at. I suspect this is the same for many hobby clickers'
I still want to follow a process like this with my Christmas Pentax Kr, but want to know what everyone else does?
Do you just digitally store your shots, never to be looked at again or if you print at home or have them processed on line and hard copy photos sent out to you?

Thanks
Mike

12-20-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/275805-what-do-yo...-pictures.html

Cheers
12-20-2014, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can use something like Lightroom to index your photos. If you set it up in a certain way it will come online whenever you insert anything with a photo on it and try to index it for you. It also allows basic editing and adjusting, so its fairly useful in several ways. Once you have indexed, selected, edited, etc. you can then decide to print either locally or online. I've had prints made into canvas, posters, photo books, and individual prints based on the event, person, and need.
12-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
Forum Member

Multipe things.

0) Proces them (RAW) with DXO
1) Use them to create a Christmas/Holiday Card to send to Friends and family
2) Use some on my website
3) Put some of them on Google+ and Forum
4) Put all of them at my synology NAS which enables me to show or share them to/with every one I want using the Photo-station app or a media player/smart TV that is IP connected.
4a)And since I'm using multiple Camera's Pentax K5II,K7, Pentax Optio W90, Sony 20MP Handy and storing all those pictures on the same synology system, using the Timeline function puts them all in one timeline which gives great overview )
5) At a given date (when my children are going living their own lives) I will make a selection on tags - and create a book of life for them.

12-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I try to use Lightroom's rating system as soon as I import the files, or look through them. This is most important when I have a set of very similar shots with small changes in exposure or framing. I only need the best one, and I don't want to look through the whole set each time. I want to roughly pick out photos that would be good enough to print, or consider printing. It's not a final decision and I may not have a purpose for the print yet. When I want to print, Lightroom allows me to go back later and find just those better shots, to make a second selection and edit the good ones. Say I see someone over the holidays and they want a calendar. I can have Lightroom show me the good-quality shots, then select appropriate photos from that set to match the calendar.

I am happy to print anything for anyone but they have to actually want it. Sometimes you get casual interest, then when you deliver the print you realize they were not expecting it.
12-20-2014, 03:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Pretty much the same as you did with film. I process the images, rate them for the best and send the best of those out (I use Mpix) for enlarged prints I can hang at home, sell or give as gifts. It would be cheaper to print at home but I can't do as good a job as Mpix. I also share some images via Google+, Twitter , Facebook and e-mail to friends and family.
12-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Use the best ones as a screensaver on your computer.

12-21-2014, 01:00 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look at some of those ideas and pick one to try.
Hope you all have a very Happy Christmas.
12-21-2014, 02:54 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you should do a mixture of things. You should probably delete most of them. Most of the photos I keep aren't worth keeping and I look at them a couple of years later and wonder why I thought they were worth keeping. Get a digital picture frame and put some of your best photos on that. If you take photos of your family, you should probably try to make photo books/scrap books with them periodically. Those turn into treasures over time and if they are just languishing on a hard drive somewhere, they may never be seen in the future. Just like with film, you should print some. Only you can decide which are your best photos, but those are definitely worth printing by a good lab and hanging in your home.
12-21-2014, 03:12 AM   #10
Forum Member

I put some online to share with friends and family, but twice a year I print (using an online service) the nicest ones which go into photo albums. I realised that I don't really look at my pictures if they are just sitting on the hard disk somewhere.
12-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #11

One thing I have thought about but not got round to doing yet is picking the best and appropriate and using them in a calendar.

Jeff
12-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by screwdriver222 Quote
One thing I have thought about but not got round to doing yet is picking the best and appropriate and using them in a calendar.

Jeff
Did that for a couple of years. Selected photos that had an association with the particular month. Didn't matter if they weren't technically the best photos - each one evoked a lot of memories.