Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2014, 10:11 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
If you are not aware, the Pentax LX (film SLR) is the only camera ever made - by any manufacturer, that can aperture priority auto expose a scene for as long as it takes while monitoring the scene for changes in lighting and adjusting exposure accordingly. Since it takes it's exposure off the film plane, it doesn't require a cover for the viewfinder and stray light entering there does not influence the meter.

I have successfully conducted low light shots with very long exposures as shown below.

This one is on Kodak Ektar 100 for about 40 minutes . . .

This one on Kodak Gold 100-7 for more than 3 hours . . .
Impressive! Both photo's look really nice they have some sort of surreal feel to it

12-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarity Quote
Impressive! Both photo's look really nice they have some sort of surreal feel to it
Thanks!
12-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Number 2 isn't going to occur with any SLR since the mirror is up during the exposure and no light can reach the sensor from the eyepiece while the mirror is up except with leaky seals.

Nope, that is not the case. Because after you take your head away from the viewfinder but before the camera has actually taken the shot, the camera is still metering. Ergo, it can change what exposure it wants to take the shot at by the time it actually takes it.
12-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
Nope, that is not the case. Because after you take your head away from the viewfinder but before the camera has actually taken the shot, the camera is still metering. Ergo, it can change what exposure it wants to take the shot at by the time it actually takes it.
I want a digital LX... sigh. LOL

12-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
If you are not aware, the Pentax LX (film SLR) is the only camera ever made - by any manufacturer, that can aperture priority auto expose a scene for as long as it takes while monitoring the scene for changes in lighting and adjusting exposure accordingly. Since it takes it's exposure off the film plane, it doesn't require a cover for the viewfinder and stray light entering there does not influence the meter.

I have successfully conducted low light shots with very long exposures as shown below.

This one is on Kodak Ektar 100 for about 40 minutes . . .

This one on Kodak Gold 100-7 for more than 3 hours . . .

Does the OM series not do this as well? I was under the impression that my OM2n actively monitored the scene and adjusted exposure appropriately.
12-28-2014, 08:09 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by powasky Quote
Does the OM series not do this as well? I was under the impression that my OM2n actively monitored the scene and adjusted exposure appropriately.
The OM2 was the first production camera that incorporated off the film metering and can aperture priority auto expose a scene for some minutes while monitoring the scene for changes in lighting and adjusting exposure. There are significant differences between the plain OM2 and OM2n and you can read more about this at -> TP - OM-2/2N if you're interested. The OM4 is even more limited in exposure time.

All other aperture priority cameras that I have tested generally set exposure time at the time of shutter firing and will stay the course. The Canons hard coded a 30 second limit while all the others - each brand and model, vary the time from seconds to minutes but generally unpredictably. It is possible I may have missed an old/new, model/brand that can aperture priority auto expose a scene for as long as it takes (or batteries die) while monitoring the scene for changes in lighting and adjusting exposure accordingly and accurately but so far only the Pentax LX can do this.

BTW, with regards to light entering the viewfinder and influencing the meter, there are some cameras that have viewfinder blinds built-in with a lever to activate it or a cap on the strap to cover the it.
12-29-2014, 07:08 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@zekewhipper - And, if you are in manual mode and already set the exposure before you pulled your eye away just before shooting, why would this matter based on what you said?

QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote

12-31-2014, 11:25 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
On page 47 of the K-3 manual it says "..exposure may be affected if light enters the viewfinder. In such case, use the AE Lock function or attach the option ME viewfinder cap..."

That suggests to me that if you are in manual mode and set your exposure before pulling your eye away, then the exposed viewfinder should not cause a problem, assuming there are no manufacturing defects.
12-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
@zekewhipper - And, if you are in manual mode and already set the exposure before you pulled your eye away just before shooting, why would this matter based on what you said?
In M mode it obviously does not make a difference. Only when the camera is in P, Av, Tv, or TAv does the viewfinder need blocked.