Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
I need an M42 "permanent" adapter

I have a Super Takumar 135mm lens which I love but I can't get to infinity focus. It is the only M42 lens I have. The flanged adapter I own won't let the lens go to infinity focus. I would like to get an M42 adapter that I can leave on the lens. The only thing I worry about is it getting stuck on my K3 and then I can't remove the adapter or the lens quickly to swap them out during a photo shoot. Can anyone point me to an adapter which I can permanently fix to this M42 lens and not have to worry about it getting stuck to the K3 body?

obin

12-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Just get a third-party "infinity" type m42 adapter, and remove the spring. Screw it on the lens, and now you have a bayonet mount. The only thing is that it will not lock in -- basically a tight friction fit. In practice, it works fine. I have many such adapters on all my favorite m42s...
12-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #3

I am looking for something like this too. For now I use some proper m42-pk adapters which have that locking elastic part taken off. This way they can never get locked. But as a disadvantage, some lenses can have stiff focus or aperture ring and by moving the rings in the unscrewing direction, most likely the adapter will rotate in the mount before the lens will unscrew from the adapter. M42 to pentax adapter are a bit awkward to use and I'm afraid we have to live with it. But I don't think other camera manufacturers have significantly better solutions to this either.
12-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the info! Would it help if I epoxied the adapter to the lens or is that not necessary?

obin

12-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Obin Robinson Quote
Thanks for the info! Would it help if I epoxied the adapter to the lens or is that not necessary?
I wouldn't do that with my lenses no matter how old or bad their shape would be but maybe that's just me
12-22-2014, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

You could use a little blue loctite -- it can be removed with a some effort. I've never found it really necessary though.
12-22-2014, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can use blue lactate and very carefully take a dremel to notch the lens in the right spot for the camera's lock pin to snap into place - then you can treat it just like a normal K lens.

12-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yes, your bigger possible problem is the lens moving relative to the body, not the adapter moving around relative to the lens, but the notch would take care of that. (That's something I wouldn't do.) Again, rarely is it a problem except on certain very stiff lenses or those without much base around the mount that won't create friction, neither of which is likely true for your Takumar...
12-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
You could use a little blue loctite -- it can be removed with a some effort. I've never found it really necessary though.
Purple Loctite creates a much weaker bond than blue. That's what I use. It can be found at Amazon or Micro-Tools.
12-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If you're going to put it all around purple is a better idea for sure. The strength of the bond is based in part on the size of the bolt, and a 42mm bolt is a lot larger than a 1/4 inch one.
12-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Purple Loctite creates a much weaker bond than blue. That's what I use. It can be found at Amazon or Micro-Tools.
Ok. I've never used any of them (for this purpose). It is unlikely to need anything at all as the only thing loctite will do is keep the adapter on the threads and that isn't much of a problem -- once in a while when you go to dismount the lens it will get a little loose (which doesn't matter cause you are dismounting) and you can just crank it down again with a K rear cap. But loctite won't do anything to keep the lens w/ adapter attached (which is not locked into position on the body) from moving in the mount when you are focusing, etc. But for most lenses this isn't a problem either as there is plenty of friction or you just learn to hold it in place with one hand while focusing with the other. I've got lots of m42s with these adapters semi-permanently attached (but I always have more lenses than adapters so they do move from lens to lens a fair bit depending on what my current favorite lenses are) -- the only ones that need special handling because of lack of friction are some of the German models with their tapering bases that provide no friction at all. Pretty much any Takumar you should be able to screw the adapter on, give it a little tightness with a rear K cap, and you're ready to go. As long as you aren't totally careless and forget that it is a friction fit, you'll likely have no trouble at all without the need for any additional adhesives or cutting notches into things, etc
12-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
here's a link to a post where I discuss using Loctite to attach K mount adapters to M42 lenses. I will not necessarily recommend doing this, but if you are determined to do so, you will see the steps I took to do it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/249984-ques...ml#post2675525
12-23-2014, 12:51 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another thought

I have a Takumar 17mm that I made a semi permanent K mount lens. When I removed the spring I kept the screw and screwed it back in to put pressure against the threads ( it goes in deeper because the spring is not there). Not as messy as the loctite.
12-23-2014, 01:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I have to be honest here by supporting both the 'don't' and 'do' arguments here.

I have tried the 'spring less approach' and found myself worrying about the lens 'falling off' - so adhering the adapter PLUS drilling a small hole into the lens mount for the locking pin to work is a solution I am comfortable with. Also, I have had the lens stuck on the camera problem - another worry fueling the permanent solution.

BUT, I would only do this if I was prepared to degrade the lens in question permanently. For me I am comforatble with this action as I intend to keep these modified lenses for as long as I shoot. However, I understand the purists viewpoint here so it is definitely a decision not taken lightly.
12-23-2014, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
Thanks for the great info everyone! I ordered an M42 adapter that should be here within a week or so factoring in the holidays. The M42 135mm Super Takumar is the same one that I took this photo with:

The original is much sharper but for some reason when resizing it the jpg looks grainy. I am a fan of 135mm lenses and have four different classic 135mm Takumars. I'd like to get some usage out of the M42 Super Takumar and now I'm glad I will be able to do so.

obin