Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2014, 05:34 AM   #16
Forum Member

I purchased the Katzeye and as a poster said it came with two plastic/neoprene shims, the screen is thinner than the original so I found one shim was right, as was said they are a fiddle as they do not remain rectangular nor stay in position, I used a micro drop of super glue only on the edge of the screen applied with cocktail stick to hold it in place. (I took the risk but I'm not suggesting you do the same!

12-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave's clichés Quote
I used a micro drop of super glue only on the edge of the screen applied with cocktail stick to hold it in place. (I took the risk but I'm not suggesting you do the same!
I'd be really afraid that super glue might fog up the prism.
01-06-2015, 03:05 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
well it doens't look like I can get many third party stuff in my country for Pentax, but a replacement focusing screen should arrive sometime today, I hope the store will keep their word.... and I am keeping my fingers crossed for it to be the right one this time and that I will have a crystal clear viewfinder again, photoshoots awaits me and while I work with old manual lenses I really need a bright and clear viewfinder.

On the good side I learned so much from this!
01-08-2015, 10:05 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave's clichés Quote
I purchased the Katzeye and as a poster said it came with two plastic/neoprene shims, the screen is thinner than the original so I found one shim was right, as was said they are a fiddle as they do not remain rectangular nor stay in position, I used a micro drop of super glue only on the edge of the screen applied with cocktail stick to hold it in place. (I took the risk but I'm not suggesting you do the same!
If your screen came with two shims, it was not a KatzEye. As for the super glue...

QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
I'd be really afraid that super glue might fog up the prism.
Super glue and optical equipment do not mix. The vapors will etch many plastics that are commonly used in cameras. That would include focus screens, viewfinder oculars, AF optics, and maybe even components of the sensor itself.

Steve

01-09-2015, 02:38 AM   #20
Forum Member

Hi Danas Anis

Please do "not" try this method of mine as I do not want you to risk your screen on my part, hence I suggested that you do not do it!

The "only" reason I mentioned it was to highlight that it can be a very fiddly job fitting both the screen and the shim and getting the proper alignment!

In my case however, after several goes at putting in the screen the spacer still appeared on the edge of the viewfinder when looking through the camera, so that was my motivation for using the glue, I have much experience of using this glue in many situations and only the most tiny amount was used on the edge of the screen as I said applied with a cocktail stick.. I allowed a couple of hours for the glue to be completely dry before fitting the screen!
I took "my" own risk with my own camera and after four years I can say that it worked out fine for me.

Hope everything works out fine for you and good luck and all the very best!

Last edited by Dave's clichés; 01-09-2015 at 03:23 AM.
01-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #21

Original Poster
Hello!

Well, thing is that I don;t have much of a choice where I live, I either get something directly from Ricoh Pentax or nothing at all...

So today I went to the store asking whether my order was lost or something and they said: "oh yes, we received it! here you go" and gave me a focusing screen box.

When I opened it I checked the manual and it said it is for Pentax K5 and K7, but after examining the names of focusing screens there I came to a conclusion that it should be okay for K30 too, at least the model numbers were almost matching, I got ML60, it is ab it different focusing screen from a standard one and I tried to put it into my camera while I was in the store and checked it, and it worked! At first I was afraid it might be bigger than I need, but after 4th attempt to place it i successfully placed it and now when I focus I get sharp images that match the what I get with focus peaking and what the red dot indicator shows me in focus. So woot! I can see what I am shooting again!

Unfortunately during the period while I was trying to place focusing screen couple of dust managed to get on to prism or focusing screen, but I am not touching it again, compared to what I had it is now crystal clear view which makes me ha[[y enough to continue on working... on the mean time I am saving funds for a professional cleaning service. I will play with focusing screens and viewfinders no more