Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #1

Pentax ZXM trouble

I recently found this camera and everything seemed to be okay. I finally replace the batteries. When I put the batteries in, it makes a funky noise. *beep beep.* I ignored it, turned it on, and it makes that sound again. Every button I press it makes that damn noise. I also looked into the camera and noticed that when I pressthe shutter, the mirror doesn't move whatsoever. The camera just beeps.
Is this fixable? Please help.

12-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Moved to proper area.
12-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marimariano Quote
I recently found this camera and everything seemed to be okay. I finally replace the batteries. When I put the batteries in, it makes a funky noise. *beep beep.* I ignored it, turned it on, and it makes that sound again. Every button I press it makes that damn noise. I also looked into the camera and noticed that when I pressthe shutter, the mirror doesn't move whatsoever. The camera just beeps.
Is this fixable? Please help.
The ZX-M isn't made to last, so it could just be something went wrong with its electronics or shutter or whatever, and it's time to replace it. Be sure the batteries are inserted correctly and they're actually fully charged - batteries can sit on store shelves a while and go bad. I've had it happen even with top name Duracell batteries.
12-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a ZX-M but it's not failed yet. I hear there's some plastic parts that can break in the film advance mechanism. I'm no help, I'm sure. At least the ZX-M cameras are a dime a dozen, so it's easy to find an inexpensive one. Everything I've read says they're not worth fixing.

Last edited by OrangeKx; 12-24-2014 at 05:35 PM. Reason: typo
12-24-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, I have also read that most of the ZX series of bodies have a plastic gear which advances the shutter and the mirror. Over time the gear shrinks, cracks, and no longer meshes with the neighboring mechanisms. Sometimes the spindle jams. Sometimes it just freely spins. It is possible to repair the camera and replace the broken plastic gear with a brass unit. There are instructions posted online by the few brave DIY'ers who have a lot of time on their hands. Personally, the activity wouldn't be worth it to me. I have other things I want to do, like practice photography.

My ZX-60 is still going strong but I have read somewhere that Pentax moved away from the plastic gear when they got to this later model of camera body. You may want to investigate that model as a replacement.
12-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I really like my ZX-M, if it died I don't think I'd replace it, but I would miss it.