Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2015, 05:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
OK...I understand. You abbreviated Av to A and Tv to T. On some other cameras, "A" means "Auto" and "T" means two step shutter open/close (like B, only different). I own cameras with both these modes.

As noted above, my K-3 is set to the defaults, meaning that green button returns the exposure settings to the program line where that action is appropriate. That is somewhat contrary to your original assertion...

With K-3 in hand, I was unable to find any mode where the green button performs this action by default. Under E-Dial Programming I did find this:

Tv mode:
Front Tv, Back ISO, Green Btn ISO auto
Front ISO, Back Tv, Green Btn ISO auto
Av mode:
Front ISO, Back Av, Green Btn ISO auto
Front Av, Back ISO, Green Btn ISO auto
So for the two modes Tv and Av, it is possible to program the control dials and green button to allow for direct management of ISO without using the ISO button. These are the only two modes where this is possible and only if the camera has been programmed to do so. For a person whose shooting style involved frequent and rapid changes to the ISO sensitivity, those two customizations might be quite useful.

Steve
Well this confirms what I posted previously... I was obviously wrong about the default. My settings are set to the options you listed, which basically does set the Green Button to ISO auto. The fact that I lost that part of the setting is likely because I rarely ever utilize the green button or even auto-ISO. When I set that setting (which is the first one I change on each camera I get), I'm usually focused on what the dials do and don't pay attention to the green button. I think I only even needed it because I was recently playing around with Tv vs TAv mode on some shots and wanted the auto-ISO in that situation.

I think I assumed the green button was default because I don't use it and the setting was secondary to what I was trying for. Anyway, no harm, no fowl. It does show that the green button can be made to access auto-ISO, which is one answer to the original poster's question.... It just isn't the default setting like I had thought.

01-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Correct...This is what E-dial programming is for. Programming the dials and green button for use in the various modes.

Note though; On my k5 lls if AV or TV green button is set for Auto ISO when one switches from either of those modes after a green button press to P mode the Auto ISO will remain on in that mode until it is turned off. I find it best for my purpose to change it off of auto-ISO for those modes as I like controlling my ISO manually unless I am using TAV.
01-21-2015, 11:29 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
I find it best for my purpose to change it off of auto-ISO for those modes as I like controlling my ISO manually unless I am using TAV.
I agree...auto-ISO is evil.

Steve
01-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It serves its purpose. I generally like to set my ISO, too, but there are times when I'm at a family gathering that I using P mode with Auto-ISO can make sense. I've also recently found it useful for wildlife or sports when I'm not too concerned with Aperture (i.e. Tv mode). It is only really evil if you blindly use it all the time and don't realize what it can do to your flash shots. I barely even shoot with flash enough to have that happen.

Actually, I find the biggest evil is the distraction it causes in my view finder when the ISO starts jumping around, which keeps me from forgetting when I'm using it anyway.