Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
setting ISO Auto

Using a K-5iis in aperture preferred, but can't seem to get ISO AUTO to work. Any ideas or help here?

12-25-2014, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
Using a K-5iis in aperture preferred, but can't seem to get ISO AUTO to work. Any ideas or help here?
Press the ISO button on the top (to make ISO the active selection) and then press the green button. That should return it to auto ISO.
12-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

+1.. but to add I suggest varying setting the ISO range to suit the EV Lighting situations one is working with otherwise it may utilize a much higher ISO then is needed.
12-25-2014, 09:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Isn't there TAv mode? Set the aperture and shutter speed you want and the camera adjusts the ISO for the correct exposure.

12-26-2014, 01:45 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
Isn't there TAv mode? Set the aperture and shutter speed you want and the camera adjusts the ISO for the correct exposure.
Yes that will put the ISO back in to auto mode, but as soon as you move back in to one of the other modes it will revert to it's original setting if that was a fixed ISO.
01-18-2015, 11:58 AM   #6

Pls check priorities you set in your camera menu.

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by percy Quote
Yes that will put the ISO back in to auto mode, but as soon as you move back in to one of the other modes it will revert to it's original setting if that was a fixed ISO.
01-20-2015, 12:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
At this point, hopefully the OP got it fixed, but pressing the green button in any of the modes usually puts the ISO back into auto mode for most of the modes.
01-20-2015, 03:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
At this point, hopefully the OP got it fixed, but pressing the green button in any of the modes usually puts the ISO back into auto mode for most of the modes.
Truly? That is definitely not the case with my K-3, nor with my friend's K-50 nor on my daughter's K10D. The default action for the green button is to return the exposure settings to program line for all modes except B, X, and Sv. In those modes it does nothing. ISO stays as set except for TAv where it is always auto.

Steve

01-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #9
Pentaxian

With my K-3 in A mode, T mode, and P mode it returns my camera to Auto-ISO as part of that return to program line. Perhaps it shouldn't (it surprised me when it did), but I rarely use the green button in those modes anyway.

In A mode and T mode it kind of makes sense. What exactly would it mean to return to program line in those modes anyway? At the moment I can't think of exactly what I'd expect the green button to do in those two. For instance in A mode: I adjust aperture, ISO, EV comp. I press green the ISO goes back to auto, perhaps the EV goes back to zero (I honestly don't look that closely). What else would green do? there.

Perhaps it has something to do with the dial settings? For T mode and A mode one dial is set to ISO, so perhaps that is a factor. I don't recall if the dials change something else by default (for instance, I know EV is an option). Perhaps I changed some other setting in the custom menu.

Anyway, I'm sorry if what I said is incorrect for the default. I do know it works with my current K-3 settings because I purposely did it just the other day because I wanted auto-ISO and I didn't know how to get to it (and didn't have the manual nearby). Generally, I rarely shoot with auto-ISO, so I can't remember my experience with a K-5 or K10d. I'm pretty sure the green button didn't do that with the K10d, but it was a different camera, and I recall auto-ISO was easy to get back if I did need it. I'll have to check my K-5.

I supposed that's a problem with having so many settings. Somethings might work for someone on the basis of the options they have set (inadvertently maybe).
01-21-2015, 04:50 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Just a caution for those using auto ISO.

Pentax programmers use , or at least seem to use ISO as the first control parameter, attempting to meet exposure wiht ISO control only, then adjusting either Shutter speed or aperture as the selected mode permits.

One of the side effects of this is , if you forget you have auto ISO and you select flash, you will shoot usually at the maximum ISO and the slowest shutter or widest aperture(depending on mode selected) and lastly minimum flash necessary.

The result is often very noisy/grainy flash shots, with either no depth of field, or ghosted/blurred images.

All I am saying is that you really need to pay attention to your settings if you go for auto ISO. Yes it has uses, but it can lead to big mistakes too
01-21-2015, 06:51 AM   #11
Pentaxian

With my K-3 in A mode, T mode, and P mode it returns my camera to Auto-ISO as part of that return to program line.
It depends on how you have your E-dial programming set up. Not all modes return to P- line, that is an option for some of them. I have my K5 lls set to only TAV uses auto ISO.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 01-21-2015 at 07:11 AM.
01-21-2015, 08:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
It depends on how you have your E-dial programming set up. Not all modes return to P- line, that is an option for some of them. I have my K5 lls set to only TAV uses auto ISO.
That's the part I'm not sure how my settings got as they are. Generally, when I rotate between modes, the ISO is wherever it last was. If I'm in M-mode with ISO 100, then every other mode will be in ISO 100 if I switch to it (except TAv). If I press the green button in some of the modes, auto ISO is reactivated (if it wasn't already). I'm not even totally sure how auto-ISO is supposed to be activated otherwise. In all honesty, I'm not much of a fan of it anyway because I feel like having control of the ISO gives me control of the noise. That being said, I'm learning that my K-3 actually performs pretty well, even at ISO 12800 and can shoot in TAv mode with comfort. Thus, this topic is interesting and useful. Here I was shooting last night and didn't think about investigating my camera settings a bit more.
01-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #13
Site Supporter

With my K-3 in A mode, T mode, and P mode it returns my camera to Auto-ISO as part of that return to program line.
If your K-3 has A and T modes it is unique. My K-3 OTOH retains set ISO value for Av, Tv, and P when the green. It is configured with default green button behavior for all modes and never goes into auto-ISO mode unless the ISO/green button sequence in invoked or the camera is in TAv mode.

BTW...firmware v1.11

Steve
01-21-2015, 03:00 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If your K-3 has A and T modes it is unique. My K-3 OTOH retains set ISO value for Av, Tv, and P when the green. It is configured with default green button behavior for all modes and never goes into auto-ISO mode unless the ISO/green button sequence in invoked or the camera is in TAv mode.

BTW...firmware v1.11

Steve
I'm not sure what you mean by unique? I used A and T instead of Av and Tv.

I won't say ky K3 is in its default setting, but when I press the green button it changes the ISO to auto ISO. I guess, what I wonder, is what does the green button change when you press it on your camera? Is it adjusting Exposure Compensation? something else?

I likely configured mine the way it is on purpose. When I first get my cameras, the first thing I do is go through all the menus and configure things the way I want. Then I rarely ever touch things again. Thus, I end up forgetting what the default behavior actually is because everything ends up being my default. This is one of those cases where I apparently did something and what I thought was default behavior isn't.

The only thing I know I do is change the e-dials for Av and Tv mode so that the one not controlling Shutter or Aperture is controlling ISO. I don't usually use the green button for much, so I don't recall changing it, but perhaps I did. It isn't entirely clear, otherwise, how to change to Auto-ISO, and perhaps whatever I did was a way for me to get to auto-ISO.

I am running version 1.11 of the firmware too. A bit puzzling, but I'm certain that in any case, there is some setting (in the K3 at least) down deep that gives you the option of changing to Auto-ISO using the green button. I'm pretty sure my camera is not unique. Although, it has gone through a warranty repair because the mode dial became defective at some point. I suppose there is some limited possibility that this is a bug related to that, but that seems unlikely.
01-21-2015, 04:53 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I'm not sure what you mean by unique? I used A and T instead of Av and Tv.
OK...I understand. You abbreviated Av to A and Tv to T. On some other cameras, "A" means "Auto" and "T" means two step shutter open/close (like B, only different). I own cameras with both these modes.

I won't say my K3 is in its default setting, but when I press the green button it changes the ISO to auto ISO. I guess, what I wonder, is what does the green button change when you press it on your camera? Is it adjusting Exposure Compensation? something else?
As noted above, my K-3 is set to the defaults, meaning that green button returns the exposure settings to the program line (or equivalent) where that action is appropriate and does nothing otherwise. That is somewhat contrary to the assertion of your original comment...

...pressing the green button in any of the modes usually puts the ISO back into auto mode for most of the modes...
Your comments above explain why there was confusion. With K-3 in hand, I was unable to find any mode where the green button performs this action by default. Under E-Dial Programming I did find this:

Tv mode:
Front Tv, Back ISO, Green Btn ISO auto
Front ISO, Back Tv, Green Btn ISO auto
Av mode:
Front ISO, Back Av, Green Btn ISO auto
Front Av, Back ISO, Green Btn ISO auto
So for the two modes Tv and Av, it is possible to program the control dials and green button to allow for direct management of ISO/Auto ISO without using the ISO button. These are the only two modes where this is possible and only if the camera has been programmed to do so. For a person whose shooting style involved frequent and rapid changes to the ISO sensitivity, those two customizations might be quite useful.

Edit:
Although it is not obvious from either the manual or the camera menus, the first line of options for the e-dial programming of each mode represents the default behavior. This is another strike against the K-3 manual where even the most fundamental things are missing or glossed over. A good example might be the terms "hyper-program" and "hyper-manual". These two have been unique Pentax features for the better part of a decade, but both terms as well as a description of the features are missing from the K-3 manual. As a result, the custom dial/button settings often don't make sense. It is increasingly my opinion that a new user may benefit from time with both the K-5 and K-3 manuals when trying to figure out the K-3 exposure modes.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-21-2015 at 05:28 PM.