Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2014, 02:46 AM   #1

Confused about lenses.. K50

Hello!!

I just received my first DSLR camera in the mail two days ago. I'm totally in love with my Pentax 50 but I have just started and I haven't left the 'auto' yet. I plan on taking some online classes soon to help me discover everything.

Could someone explain to me how you can use the older model lenses with the k50? I was trying to read it on a website but it just confused me.

Also, I was looking on Amazon for some lenses, like the 50mm f1.8, but the guide says it will not work with a pentax 50 even though it is a pentax lens. Will all Pentax lenses work on all Pentax cameras or only specific ones?

Thank you so much!!

12-26-2014, 02:59 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All lens made by Pentax and for Pentax will work on your new K-50. Older lenses may need an adapter though, they will still work on your K-50.

Read these two articles in this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html

Also, be aware of this little tidbit:
QuoteQuote:
If your manual focus lens has an "A" setting on the aperture ring, leave it in "A" and instead use the e-dials on your camera to control the shutter speed and aperture. Don't follow the steps above.
12-26-2014, 03:14 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
All lens made by Pentax and for Pentax will work on your new K-50. Older lenses may need an adapter though, they will still work on your K-50.

Read these two articles in this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html

Also, be aware of this little tidbit:
Thank you!!
12-26-2014, 03:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All Pentax Bayonet ( K mount ) lenses will work ..
Some 3rd party K mount lenses need to be modified ( Pre A - Possibly some A )

M42 will work with an adapter , but you will lose aperture function ..

12-26-2014, 03:57 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA50 f1.8 will be a great match for your camera, X! :-)
12-26-2014, 04:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I would get to grips with using it before going to earlier lenses, and I mean using Av for example rather than Auto! So you get clear about ISO / f-stop / shutter speed. You might also find this website interesting - use K30 for the camera: Online Depth of Field Calculator
12-26-2014, 05:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

All K-mount lenses will work with your K-50 with very few exceptions (Ricoh lenses must be modified). Older ones that lack the "A" setting on the aperture ring must use "stop down" metering (green button.)

Your camera probably came with one or two "kit lenses;" these are great for learning your way around the camera and developing your own style of shooting. Be patient and learn the system (I'm still doing that) then you'll know better what focal lengths you need/want. The "Plastic Fantastic" DA primes (35mm f2.4 and 50mm f1,8) are good performing lenses at a budget price. Legacy lenses are all over the map in price, handling and image quality (IQ) so I advise using the lens database here on the site and asking questions here in the forums

12-26-2014, 07:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome Aboard. You've gotten answers to your main questions. On the issue of Amazon's statements about lenses - disregard ALL such statements. Their database and program are just not working right at all.
12-26-2014, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My web page tries to go into a bit more detail. Also the links to eg Robert Donovans blog are helpful

Using manual focus lenses on Pentax (and Samsung)DSLR's
12-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Ricoh have a good resource for using older lenses:

Using Older Lenses on the PENTAX K-50 | Ricoh Imaging Support

I'd linked to it from my review, earliest on the K-50 page

Pentax K-50 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
12-26-2014, 06:47 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the tips!! I'm not really that interested in buying new lenses just yet until I do get more of an idea on what the heck I am doing. I do like to learn things though and have an idea. My goal is to get the 50mm f1.8 lens soon. I appreciate all the researching websites to check out. I like to read them!

I am also curious... I have a 35mm Nikon with the attachable lenses. There is one macro lens that is a vivitar brand. Is there any possible way to get some sort of adapter to make that work on the K50??
12-26-2014, 07:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xomandykinsox Quote
Thank you everyone for the tips!! I'm not really that interested in buying new lenses just yet until I do get more of an idea on what the heck I am doing. I do like to learn things though and have an idea. My goal is to get the 50mm f1.8 lens soon. I appreciate all the researching websites to check out. I like to read them!

I am also curious... I have a 35mm Nikon with the attachable lenses. There is one macro lens that is a vivitar brand. Is there any possible way to get some sort of adapter to make that work on the K50??
It might be possible. There are those here who know much more about his but I recalled seeing an adapter and found it at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Mount-Adapter-Pentax-Camera/dp/B003EAUBDE
"The Fotodiox NIK-PK Lens adapter allows you to place your favorite Nikon Lens on your Pentax K camera body. This adapter gives you the ability to use your irreplaceable prime lens and saves you the cost of purchasing new lenses. The adapters are precision made to insure the perfect fit. The lens will fit physically, but the automatic diaphragm, auto-focusing, and other functions will not operate correctly while using this adapter. In this case, "stop-down mode" will need to be used when metering, since the lens does not have the ability to have its aperture controlled by the camera body. You can shoot in manual or aperture priority mode. Infinity focusing is guaranteed."
12-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xomandykinsox Quote
See this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/62-do-yourself/254770-mounting-nikkor-len...nt-camera.html

Adapters like the one @Docrwm mentioned have optics in them that reduces the IQ of the F-mount lens.
12-31-2014, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #14

Hi! Congrats on your new camera, I just got the K-50 as well and have been doing a ton of research. One very helpful resource was a table that I ran across for lens compatibility:

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Hope this helps!
12-31-2014, 01:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Equus17 Quote
Hi! Congrats on your new camera, I just got the K-50 as well and have been doing a ton of research. One very helpful resource was a table that I ran across for lens compatibility:

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Hope this helps!
I had forgotten that resource, thanks for the link.