Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3 metering--Assistance please

I tried to look in the manual for this answer but maybe I am just blind.

I want to adjust my in camera meter to be set to -1 stop or +1 stop depending on what I am doing. I don't want to do bracketing although that is probably an option.

Of course I could just intentionally under expose or over expose from what the camera thinks is correct, but I want to actually adjust the meter itself if possible, or at least know how to do it, or know if it can be done at all.

Any assistance?Anyone know anything about it?

12-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I am reading your post correctly, you wish to add exposure compensation - press the"+/-" button just behind the shutter release and you can use the rear dial to add up to 5 stops of over or under exposure. The camera will use this setting when metering in auto modes, and will also apply this to the "suggested exposure" in Manual exposure mode.
12-27-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
No, Pentax does not have the adjustment like Olympus or Nikon to do that.
You can use the Ev or for jpg only use the high/low key setting in the picture control ( Right button on the 4way pad )
12-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use the exposure compensation setting. So for example if shooting snow or white sand and you know the meter will try to expose that too dark just set exposure comp to +1 or +2 as needed. As long as that is set the meter will "over expose" by that amount but will read as centered.

12-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
Forum Member

You can also check the box for exposure comp. in the "Memory" section too, I believe, which causes the camera to keep that setting when turned off & back on.
12-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
If I am reading your post correctly, you wish to add exposure compensation - press the"+/-" button just behind the shutter release and you can use the rear dial to add up to 5 stops of over or under exposure. The camera will use this setting when metering in auto modes, and will also apply this to the "suggested exposure" in Manual exposure mode.
I've never used any of the program modes or auto modes... well I have but not that often. I try to force myself to shoot in manual mode so that i will slow down and pay attention to what I am doing. (Same concept as grabbing an old film camera.... you gotta slow down and pay attention to what you're doing)...I do manual as a learning tool... to force me to understand the elements going in.

The "+/-" button is obviously the most easy solution...

I haven't had my K3 long enough to learn it's quirks (been two days) but with my K5 I was getting over exposed or under exposed depending on the situation. One thing I learned was to not entirely rely on the camera's metering system to make decisions. It helps a whole whole lot, but it's not like you have a little Steve McCurry in your camera going 'don't do that'...

In the end the camera meter is like you said a 'suggestion' not necessarily a rule. I can fix a lot of things in RAW but I am finding that it's easier to correct a slightly under exposed shot than one that is over exposed. Hence I was wondering if the feature to adjust the meter was an option. Oh well, no biggie.
12-27-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I've never used any of the program modes or auto modes... well I have but not that often. I try to force myself to shoot in manual mode so that i will slow down and pay attention to what I am doing. (Same concept as grabbing an old film camera.... you gotta slow down and pay attention to what you're doing)...I do manual as a learning tool... to force me to understand the elements going in.

The "+/-" button is obviously the most easy solution...

I haven't had my K3 long enough to learn it's quirks (been two days) but with my K5 I was getting over exposed or under exposed depending on the situation. One thing I learned was to not entirely rely on the camera's metering system to make decisions. It helps a whole whole lot, but it's not like you have a little Steve McCurry in your camera going 'don't do that'...

In the end the camera meter is like you said a 'suggestion' not necessarily a rule. I can fix a lot of things in RAW but I am finding that it's easier to correct a slightly under exposed shot than one that is over exposed. Hence I was wondering if the feature to adjust the meter was an option. Oh well, no biggie.
You have the option to retain the exposure compensation setting when the camera is switched off, so you can leave -1ev dialled in.....