Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2014, 06:41 PM   #1

Megs

Do I need to shoot in raw to be able to get more then 6 or 7 Megs per photo with my K20d ?

12-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RAW files are always captured at the maximum resolution (14.6 megapixels for the K20D). The actual filesize, in megabytes, is something entirely different and will vary based on the detail in the images because of lossless compression.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-27-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfvp Quote
Do I need to shoot in raw to be able to get more then 6 or 7 Megs per photo with my K20d ?
To answer your question yes. But if you are printing you will need to change it to a JPEG which will bring it back to the 6 or 7 megs unless you are printing in TIFF which will give a much larger file and from what I have read is supposed to give more detail to the prints. I'm sure some one else can expand on this.
12-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Most likely, but a high quality JPEG can be excellent.
What is at the heart of your concern about file size?
Are you printing and at what output size?

M

12-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #5

Original Poster
Megs 2

Thanks for the input everyone, My question stems from getting better "quality" from My K20d. Camera is set at the highest rate of 4 stars (14.6) megabytes, after upload to my laptop and processing through light room 2 the file size is reduced to 700 kb's, and very hard to get anything on poster size photos. Input please ..... thank you
12-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
Forum Member

Camera is set at the highest rate of 4 stars (14.6) megabytes
No, it's 14.6 megaPIXELS!
after upload to my laptop and processing through light room 2 the file size is reduced to 700 kb's
What's the size of the exported image in pixels? Amount of bytes is not a measure of image quality or resolution.
12-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think you need to work on understanding the difference between Megapixels and Megabytes.

Megapixels are how many pixels your image has.
Megabytes are the size of the file in terms of memory. It is loosely related in that generally more pixels are bigger files, but they won't be the same.

For instance a 14 MP RAW file will be much larger than a 14 MP JPG file when it comes to the file size despite the same resolution.

When you export a JPG from a program like LR (or any other RAW processors) you have two factors that will affect the file size. The amount of compression you use and the resolution. If your files are coming out at 700 kbs, I think you need to increase the size. In the export dialog, the easiest thing to do is to unclick the resize options and just let the program export at the original size. That is as big as you can get from the natural image. See if that helps. But don't expect the output file to have the same file size as resolution.... i.e. 14.6 MP will not equal 14.6 Mb.

12-29-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the input everyone, My question stems from getting better "quality" from My K20d. Camera is set at the highest rate of 4 stars (14.6) megabytes, after upload to my laptop and processing through light room 2 the file size is reduced to 700 kb's, and very hard to get anything on poster size photos. Input please ..... thank you
Look at how Lightroom is set for the JPEG compression. JPEG has carrying levels of compression, if Lightroom is set for low quality, the saved image from lightroom is the problem. Note, even if you shoot raw, if you save post processed images in JPEG, the quality of the JPEG saved is dependant upon the settings of the editing program not the origonl camera setting
01-02-2015, 09:36 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
To answer your question yes. But if you are printing you will need to change it to a JPEG which will bring it back to the 6 or 7 megs unless you are printing in TIFF which will give a much larger file and from what I have read is supposed to give more detail to the prints. I'm sure some one else can expand on this.
Thanks you for the input, do you have a favorite software you might recommend ?
01-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Look at how Lightroom is set for the JPEG compression. JPEG has carrying levels of compression, if Lightroom is set for low quality, the saved image from lightroom is the problem. Note, even if you shoot raw, if you save post processed images in JPEG, the quality of the JPEG saved is dependant upon the settings of the editing program not the origonl camera setting
Thank you again !