Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Four way disabled in 9 point focus mode

Hi all,
Well I finally updated to the K3 from my K5 and have been giving the new machine a run throught it's paces but I've found an issue with the four way not working when in 9 point focus mode and also in the focus point select mode. It is apparently totaly disabled in both these modes.
Firmware is V1.11
Anyone else having this issue?

Nico.

12-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Working as designed. You need to press the "1-2" button bottom right to switch back and forth from the menu to the focus mode.
12-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Yep. What jatrax said. It took me a while to get used to the change from the K5, but it works well.
12-27-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jatrax and you to Paul.
Seems a bit odd though that it works in spot or full focus modes but you need to access it via a second button push when in the other two modes. Oh well something for them to improve on I guess but I will get used to it very soon no doubt.

12-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nico13 Quote
Thanks Jatrax and you to Paul.
Seems a bit odd though that it works in spot or full focus modes but you need to access it via a second button push when in the other two modes. Oh well something for them to improve on I guess but I will get used to it very soon no doubt.
I'm not sure what you mean by "it works". What works? On the K5 you toggled between "4 way controller" mode (where you would set WB, flash, shooting modes etc) and focus point selection by pushing the OK button. On the K3, it's a dedicated button to the lower right of the four way controller pad. The functionality is the same, just a different button.
12-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry Paul what I meant was there are two focus modes, spot or the full 27 points, where you have full time access to the four way for shooting, flash or WB etc without having to push another button be it the OK or a dedicated button but in the other two modes, select spot or 9 point, you have the extra button push and it just didn't seem intuitive right off the bat.
Having said that I will admit that on my K5 that 99% of my shooting was done in spot mode and so if I had changed it was never to the select mode and so never noticed that I had an extra button push to access the four way as it must have been very intuitive if I had.
After having a bit more of a play I have now found that the 9 point also works like the select spot mode and the OK button returns it to centre therefor requiring the dedicated button to access the othe other four way modes.
As I have owned from the istD, K10, K20, K5 and now the K3 one tends to gloss over some parts of the manual, I had read of the second function of the four way but had forgotten about it until now after being reminded of it by you guys.

Thanks for your help.
Nico.
12-28-2014, 12:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Ah, I see. I nearly always use spot mode, so the toggle button gets a lot of use. The K5 OK button probably was more intuitive though.