Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #1

K5 iis and live view

In the K5 iis manual it says to not use the live view for prolong periods of time due to overheating. How long does this mean exactly? How long is too long? And if using it for such a period of time, how long does it usually take for the camera to cool back down? Also, what causes this over heating? Most point and shoot cameras can use the back LCD for long periods of time with no problem. So what is in the DSLR that can cause the over heating?

12-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ShutterKatt Quote
So what is in the DSLR that can cause the over heating?
It's the sensor size that causes all the heat. P&S cameras have tiny sensors, so overheating is rarely an issue.

The amount of time it takes depends on the ambient temperature. You'll see a little thermometer icon if the camera is close to overheating. I'd say 15-30 minutes is about what you should expect.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

PnS cameras have a tiny image sensor and bodies that are not fully WR (sealed).
Even so, PnS camera do still get hot.

A thermal warning will appear on screen when 'too long' has been reached. This varies depending on what sort of environment you are using the camera at the time.

EDIT: Ack.. Adam posted while I was writing.. At least we agree
12-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
re:

Thanks guys! I was concerned that it might just be like only 5 minutes as that is what the timer on the live view is. Nice to know it's not that short!! And thanks for the explanation about the sensor, I had not known that at all! I guess great images have some minor drawbacks to taking them.