Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Seeing blue

While I have had my K-3 for several months I am just beginning to get to know it (lack of time). I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong but would appreciate it if you could give me some clues.
When shooting in green mode everything comes out perfect however when I switch to AV or any other mode including manual the photos come out pretty much void of color and are washed out /very blue-ish. Happened with the kit lens and my 55-300.
This didn't happen in summer when I was using the camera.
I watched the settings in the view finder when the camera was in full auto and then I tried to duplicate the photo by taking the next shot on AV or manual with the same settings.

I'd post a pic but haven't read up on how to do that yet. Hopefully you can advise me without one.

Thanks

12-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posting an image with the EXIF intact is best.

However, I wonder if you have some of the filters or special processing turned on? Are you shooting RAW or JPEG?
QuoteOriginally posted by Shakey Quote
void of color and are washed out /very blue-ish.
Maybe bleach bypass?
12-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Posting an image with the EXIF intact is best.

However, I wonder if you have some of the filters or special processing turned on? Are you shooting RAW or JPEG?

Maybe bleach bypass?
I did that once (accidentally set bleach bypass). It won't necessarily make things blue, but it does wash things out significantly. It'll show up whether you are shooting RAW or JPG (on the camera) since the RAW files are displayed via an embedded JPG.

My thought, however, is that the OP might actually have a WB setting fixed to something odd like the tungsten setting or even just a fixed value. Perhaps confirm that your WB is on auto or something reasonable for your scene. Green mode might be working because it may default to auto WB.
12-29-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Try setting your white balance.

12-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
ok, I'll check some of these out....I'm shooting jpeg but there is no doubt that I've been fumbling around pressing buttons without knowing what will happen...funny in that I read a post on this forum where the person said that's the best way to learn to work with your camera...start pressing buttons...so I did

Is there any way to undo everything I might have done by setting the camera back to factory default settings? I'll still follow up on the suggestions but if I don't figure it out is there a easy way to start over?
Thanks for your patience.
12-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter

In the setup menu, maybe the third tab? Don't have the camera handy but it is in the menu. Should return all your settings to original.

But first check to see if any filters are on and verify that white balance is set to either AWB or to a known good setting like daylight.

Nothing wrong with pushing buttons, but always a good idea to return things back to normal when done. Note that on the k-3 it is quite easy to enter the WB menu while you think you are moving the focus point in select mode. Been there.
12-29-2014, 12:22 PM   #7

Something in your camera settings has been altered...suggest you consider going to your menu tool bar, page 3, reset to default settings and menu custom bar, page 4, reset custom functions. This should put you back to square one and get you to producing worthy shots in other than the green mode.
12-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
WB was not set to Auto. I'll shoot some more in the morning to confirm.

12-30-2014, 07:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Confirmed...it was the WB setting. Did the resets as suggested and all is well. Thanks everyone!
12-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shakey Quote
Confirmed...it was the WB setting. Did the resets as suggested and all is well. Thanks everyone!
Glad it worked out! Be careful, it is easy to hit that WB menu by accident.