Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Troubleshoot My K-7 Mirror Fault

I was shooting with my K-7 when suddenly the mirror seemed to stop operating. I could feel more than a twitch as I depressed the shutter button but the mirror was not moving. I confirmed this first with seeing a black screen in Live View and then testing with Sensor Cleaning. The mirror was not flipping. Now that I think about it, I did not try to physically move it.
At that time, I removed the battery for several minutes, powered on and off without the battery, shutter release, spin the Mode dial, clean contacts; all those silly rituals. Still lifeless. I repeated this a few times over the next few hours during a wrestling tournament in a high school gym without success.
The following day, I checked it a few times to see if it would perform. Nothing. This morning, I prepared myself to ship it off for repair after checking it again a few times. This time, I did poke the mirror to move it up and down but still no reaction to depressing the shutter button other than a slight motion I could feel from inside somewhere. Several minutes later, I pick up the thing, discovering that I had left it on, press the shutter button and it seems to function again.
I am sure no one can suggest that another failure is imminent and I am not sure I can trust the thing much longer because of this but has anyone experienced anything like this and survived or suffered a loss? Could this be pretty good evidence that a mirror gear is stripping or shutter beginning to reach the end of it's life? It's currently around 36,000.
Any constructive comments or suggestions aside from "get teh k5 an b happee", would be appreciated.
Thanks and it's fun to be back around the forum!

12-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I do not know if this applies to the k-7, however on the k-5 I had a similar issue. The mirror would lock up and refuse to move, in my case the camera also showed the 'battery depleted' warning, I think because the motor was straining to move the mirror and causing a battery drain.

I discovered by accident, do not ask how, that a sharp smack on the bottom of the camera with my palm would free the mirror and allow continued use. This continued over a period of a month or so, gradually getting more frequent until I decided that I could not put up with it and sent it in for repair. Camera operated flawlessly after that until I sold it.

Now I absolutely DO NOT recommend you smacking your camera around, I only note that as it worked for me and in an emergency might be of use.

I suggest you consider either sending it in for repair or looking at purchasing a newer model. (I know you did not want to hear that) You might check the repair service for a quote and decide if the cost of repair is more or less than a new camera. Deals on k-5IIs new are now quite amazing, and used k-5 can be had for very little if you watch the marketplace here.
12-29-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Yes, the mirror assembly could fail any time which by the way could be replaced/fixed. Years ago, I had similar experience with my k10D, I sent it in to Pentax repair shop and get it fixed in a few days.
12-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Can you suggest the cost of repair made on your K10? If I understand correctly, it's about $200 for the repair center to diagnose and return a camera, excluding any repairs.