Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Help! AF lens showing up as MF ???

I dropped my K-5lls with 50-135 and now the lens is showing up as a manual lens. I tried turning the camera off and on and reconnecting the lens but the lcd screen displays Fstop as F-- and will not autofocus. I connected my 16-50 to verify it was the lens and not the body and the 16-50 worked just fine. Please don't tell me I damaged the SDM motor.

12-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dismount the lens, make sure there is no damage on the lens and camera mount. When mounting the lens back, make sure it "clicks" into place, so the contacts are lined up. Check if the lens fits snugly against the camera mount.
12-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That would not be an SDM issue but rather a contact issue. "F _ _" indicates that the camera cannot see the lens. On lenses with an aperture ring this often is caused by the ring not being in the 'A' position but on the 50-135 that would not be the case.

Check the contacts on the lens and compare them to the ones on the working 16-50, check for any that are missing or not protruding the same. Check to see if there is any dirt or tarnish, you might try buffing them with a microfiber cloth. If they all look good my suspicion would be that there is internal damage to the lens, perhaps a contact link broken inside.
12-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
That would not be an SDM issue but rather a contact issue. "F _ _" indicates that the camera cannot see the lens. On lenses with an aperture ring this often is caused by the ring not being in the 'A' position but on the 50-135 that would not be the case.

Check the contacts on the lens and compare them to the ones on the working 16-50, check for any that are missing or not protruding the same. Check to see if there is any dirt or tarnish, you might try buffing them with a microfiber cloth. If they all look good my suspicion would be that there is internal damage to the lens, perhaps a contact link broken inside.
What he said!

12-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
tried that. lens and camera mount look fine and it clicks into place and is snug...

---------- Post added 12-29-14 at 02:27 PM ----------

Everything looks just like the 16-50, though the screw drive thingy is a bit more recessed on the 50-135. I buffed everything and tried again, but still didn't work. If it is a broken contact link is there a fix for that?
12-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by djam Quote
tried that. lens and camera mount look fine and it clicks into place and is snug...

---------- Post added 12-29-14 at 02:27 PM ----------

Everything looks just like the 16-50, though the screw drive thingy is a bit more recessed on the 50-135. I buffed everything and tried again, but still didn't work. If it is a broken contact link is there a fix for that?
Sorry but it sounds like you need to send the lens in for repair.
12-29-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried your other lens? If both show up as manual lenses, then the camera body would need servicing as well.

12-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sorry but it sounds like you need to send the lens in for repair.
What he said Unfortunately I cannot think of anything else to try, except try it on a different body, but I only mention that as a way to complete a full, logical assessment, not because I expect it to tell us anything.
12-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
yes interested_observer I tried my 16-50 and it worked just fine. I have a friend who has a K-30, so I will try it on that body and see if it recognizes it. I am a bit concerned that the screw drive mechanism is recessed. Here are some pics, do they look normal?

12-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No pics?
12-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
did the pics come through?
12-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I dropped my camera a few years ago and had the same issue with the lens attached at the time. It turned out to be a contact sear bent inside the housing sufficient to break the circuit. Send it in and get it checked. While it's there they'll check it for cracked boards, and other issues that may not have manifested themselves as failures yet. I'd also send the camera too, it's not worth the risk. You may have a crack around a body seal you can't see yet, or something else that has become dislodged internally.

For reference, I had the top casing section on the K20D replaced and the contact sears in the lens bent back into shape for a cost of $170AUD and 6-7 weeks wait (including postage.) They sent the old casing part back and sure enough, the damage looked a lot worse from the inside than it did on the outside.
12-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the information everyone. Because of your help I was able to determine it was indeed the lens and not the body. I decided to take the lens apart and and see if there was anything obvious, and indeed there was, the lens housing screws had pulled through the plastic housing. That is why my screw drive was recessed as per my pics. I took it all apart and put it back together and mounted it on my k-5lls and turned it on.....Can't tell you the relief that washed over me when F2.8 showed up on the screen!!! I took a few pics and changed the aperture to confirm it was working and all was well. Maybe it's just my pure relief but I swear those first few test shots were the sharpest I've ever seen from this lens!

I filmed what I did so I will try to create a video for others. Here is the link to the document someone else produced that was intrumental in explaining how to tackle the task. BTW, I think the camera body is okay. I dropped the camera on my office floor which is carpeted so I think the lens took the brunt of the fall.

Thanks again!
12-30-2014, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by djam Quote
Thanks for the information everyone. Because of your help I was able to determine it was indeed the lens and not the body. I decided to take the lens apart and and see if there was anything obvious, and indeed there was, the lens housing screws had pulled through the plastic housing. That is why my screw drive was recessed as per my pics. I took it all apart and put it back together and mounted it on my k-5lls and turned it on.....Can't tell you the relief that washed over me when F2.8 showed up on the screen!!! I took a few pics and changed the aperture to confirm it was working and all was well. Maybe it's just my pure relief but I swear those first few test shots were the sharpest I've ever seen from this lens!

I filmed what I did so I will try to create a video for others. Here is the link to the document someone else produced that was intrumental in explaining how to tackle the task. BTW, I think the camera body is okay. I dropped the camera on my office floor which is carpeted so I think the lens took the brunt of the fall.

Thanks again!
Very happy it was a "simple" fix for you.