Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #1

K5 IIs and Tameron lens concern. Please help!

I have a K5 IIs with a Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Zoom Lens. According to the Tamron website the lens should be ok for my camera. According to Amazon.com though it says the lens will not work with my camera. I just recently got both and the camera and the lens seems to be working ok. But now I have a concern. I do not want to keep using the lens if it is going to damage the camera. Does anyone have any experience with using these two together?

12-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens will work just fine and it certainly won't damage your camera. The amazon page must have been talking about a different version (mount) of the lens, like the one for Canon or Nikon cameras.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-29-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Amazon compatibility checker has said that every Pentax lens I've checked will not work with my K-500, including two lenses that I own. Their software needs some attention.
12-29-2014, 09:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax is no issue with AF lenses :

Nikon and Canon ?

I know that with Canon you have to be careful of old 35mm Autofocus lenses , They don't work right in Digital SLR bodies ...
Nikon is the same , is the AF drive in the lens or body , does what body support what lens ?
Pentax on the other hand should be safe with just about any K mount lens : ( Almost )
There are some lenses out there that need to be modified to fit a DSLR body or function correctly ... ( Manual Focus for 35mm Bodies )
I have one such lens ( Don't remember which one ) and it needed modifying to work ... ( Grinding away with a motor tool some excess metal )

Last edited by old4570; 12-30-2014 at 12:03 AM.
12-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What someone said above is accurate. The other day Amazon told me the Pentax 18-55 WR kit lens would not work with my K-30's or my K-5II. It's definitely a bit wacked lately. No worries. I have a version of that lens too, works fine on anything DSLR and Pentax.
12-29-2014, 09:33 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! Makes me feel a lot better hearing that others have that same lens and that Amazon.com compatibility chart probably needs some attention. :-)
12-30-2014, 03:24 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I understand Tamron licenses the lens firmware from Nikon, Canon and I think Pentax. As a result, they can write their lens firmware so it is compatible with those cameras. No guarantee, but Tamron is usually more compatible.

Sigma does not license the firmware, and very often their lenses need a firmware update over time. New camera models won't support them. Older lenses sometimes can't be updated due to the lack of chips. I know this to be true for some particular lenses on Canon and on Sony, such as older Sigma 400mm F/5.6 Tele Macro lenses and a 60-300 I have. These worked on Maxxum, but not on Sony. Same is true for certain older Sigma for Canon lenses.

I had a new Sigma 15-30 for Nikon that needed a slight update due to some new feature from Nikon that they wanted to support. Sigma was very upfront about it and did the upgrade free.

On new lenses, the vendors usually can update firmware free; it takes a few weeks though. Legacy lenses, beware.