Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-29-2014, 10:14 PM   #1

Pentax O-ME53 Viewfinder Magnifying Eyecup

Does anyone use the Pentax O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe Magnifying Eye cup? If so, how well does it work? Is there maybe something better for increasing the viewfinder view?

12-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the eye cup. Combined with the LL-60 matte screen, it makes manual focus much easier than with the original screen on my K10D. It doesn't create a viewfinder that would replace the one in my MZ-S, though. The small amount of magnification does not crop out too much of the screen, but does help with focus.
12-29-2014, 11:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've use it on a K500 and a K3 and highly recommend it. At $29.00 from Adorama*, I cannot imagine a bigger bang for the buck. It's a must-have if you shoot manual focus or legacy lenses as it definitely helps one achieve more accurate focus. Some say it cuts the lower portion of the screen off making it hard to ready the information display, but I have not experienced that either on my K500 or K3.

Only other option, really, is to replace the focusing screen and that is a higher cost proposition for a quality unit like a Katzeye or Focusingscreens.com.

* + Shipping. The forum will get a portion back to off-set site costs if you use the link in the Pentax Market place to go to Adorama and buy it.

Link: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/97599-free...opaz-labs.html

Last edited by ripper2860; 12-30-2014 at 08:38 AM.
12-29-2014, 11:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I heard it's not suitable for people wearing glass,
But I'm wearing glass and have no issue using it.

Just FYI

12-30-2014, 06:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have installed it in both of my K-x and K30.

I wear glasses. It's fine. In fact it works better as it prevents me from pressing my nose too close to the LCD.

Yes, it impedes the lower display of the OVF, so I have to make some effort to move the camera a little.

The O-ME, initially doesn't seem to make much of a difference, but when you remove it, you'll know that you need one.
12-30-2014, 07:03 AM   #6
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As mtux & drypenn noted, glasses are not an impediment. In fact, I can't focus without my glasses plus the O-ME53. it's worth the small investment and is on all three cameras.
12-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have mine on the k-3 at all times. It is extremely beneficial for manual focusing (using MF lenses). I am used to it and have no issues with blockage of any area of the viewfinder. It is used in combination with a Katzeye focusing screen. It is a small investment that really works for me.

12-30-2014, 08:29 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I received one as a Christmas gift; it's installed on my K-5 ii. I wear eyeglasses when I shoot, and have no particular issues with it. It helps me to focus manually, and provides more standoff distance than the standard K-5 'eyecup'. I like it and will keep it on the camera.

Craig
12-30-2014, 08:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have one on my K-3 and will be adding one to my K-50. It helps with manual focus, but a matte focusing screen would help more.
12-31-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ShutterKatt Quote
Pentax O-ME53 Viewfinder Magnifying Eyecup
It's on all my cameras all the time, as is my Katzeye screens, as manual focus man it just makes life so much easier.
12-31-2014, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #11

Wow, finally a question I can reply to!

I just purchased one for my K-50. I wear glasses and am very near-sighted. I haven't had an issue with seeing the viewfinder info wearing my glasses; however my goal was to magnify the VF info a bit. The magnifier didn't work out for me.

With the magnifier on and using my glasses I can't see all the VF info, it cuts off too much info. If I remove my glasses I can get my eye close enough but of course everything is out-of-focus for me.

Of course, YMMV.

Steve
01-02-2015, 07:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just got the O-ME53, so I'll chip in here also. I put it on my K-30. I have a few M42 lenses and a couple other old manual focus ones. I don't like using LiveView when I'm out and about and not using a tripod, so I've mainly been using the green focus hexagon confirmation to help me set proper focus. Still, that focus indicator can have a range, and so that's why I got the O-ME53. First impression: it definitely helps, especially when trying to focus on small details. I also am able to see that bottom line of shooting parameters just by moving my eye a bit. No problem.

I use reading glasses, but I don't use them when using the camera. I did try to do so with the O-ME53, and I think it would work fine with the diopter adjustment.

BTW, I ordered mine from B&H, and the included instructions indicated that it was applicable for: "K20D, K10D, K200D, K100D/-super, K110D, *ist DL2, *ist DS2, *ist DL, *ist DS, *ist D" I was pretty sure that there should be no problem fitting on my K-30, so I checked, and the copyright on the insert was 2008 Hoya Corporation. There was, however, another insert in the little package which said, "PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD, will officially renamed RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. on August 1, 2013.
01-05-2015, 10:08 AM   #13

I wear glasses and I use the O-ME53. It does cut off some part of the VF info but I've gotten used to it. I use it mainly to keep my oily nose off the LCD. The magnification is an added bonus.
01-06-2015, 08:58 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sideway Quote
use it mainly to keep my oily nose off the LCD
Me too. I value it less for the magnification than for the ability to place my eye farther from the body which lessens the chance of accidentally getting oil from my cheek on the LCD screen. Makes keeping the LCD screen clean much easier.

On the K-50, a negative is that it forces you to place your eye pretty precisely if you want to see the whole contents of the OVF. In that respect it's a little less forgiving for fast action than without it. I like it pretty well.
01-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #15
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sideway Quote
I wear glasses and I use the O-ME53. It does cut off some part of the VF info but I've gotten used to it. I use it mainly to keep my oily nose off the LCD. The magnification is an added bonus.
Basically in the same situation, although my oily nose still hits the LCD. There are occasions where I will want to switch back to the normal eyecup so that I can see the full viewfinder, but those are typically when I know I'm only going to shoot with AF lenses or where I really want too see the full VF for composition purposes. The only downside I've had at times has been the occasional surprise when I look at an image and see parts of it that I didn't realize were in frame.