Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
aperture pin on manual lens

My camera is k3
lens is helios44k4 58mm

The aperture pin is completely stiff and not snappy and smooth like on my other lenses. It moves when I twist the aperture ring.

Can this harm the camera in any way? Or does the part in the camera that normally controls the aperture simply disengage?

Photos look great by the way and metering and exposure is on point.
Just a little worried.

01-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I believe the lens you are talking about is screw mount - M42 type? If so there are no k-mount cameras that can activate it so you are good as far as that goes as there will be no physical contact.
01-01-2015, 03:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Helios 44K-4 is a K-mount lens (I own it).

There is no part I would call "aperture pin".
If you are speaking about the item moving in a quarter circle when moving the aperture ring: this coupling is not used by Pentax DSLRs and late Pentax film bodies. And it is indeed quite "stiff". It is NOT moved by body mechanics, it just signals to the body which aperture was set.

That's why cameras not supporting aperture coupling - like all Pentax DSLRs - need stop down metering with such lenses.

Or is it not a Helios 44"K"-4?
The "M" types are M42 lenses..

Last edited by RKKS08; 01-01-2015 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Added info
01-01-2015, 04:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Since you stated aperture pin is it -> Zenit MC-Helios 44K-4 (KMZ) 58mm F2 Lens Reviews - Russian and Zenitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

01-01-2015, 05:41 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
it's the k mount version. Me being new to manual lenses, I didn't bother to change the aperture and test the lever. It's back to being snappy/springy like the others.
Was a bit scared of using it, but now I see it was just me learning how the mechanics work.

Thanks for the responses guys