Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #1

Night shooting

Dear all,

I recently bought this device (k-01), unfortunately I am not happy with AF, I am beginner photographer, not very familiar with photo shooting.
I have problem in shooting at night or dark room. the camera did not identify the subject, and can not even focus.
with my sony compact camera or my mobile phone is much easier to take photo.
I am so disappointed
I was out last night to take some photo from fire work at new year eve. I could not even take a good photo.
when I tried to take portrait photo from my friend it has difficult to focus on him, and finally I took photo which camera focus in back ground.
I use auto mode and program mode, no success. I use night scene, but since I did not have a camera stand, the photo was not clear.
any suggestion? should I change my lens? it is very slow in AF, take long time to focus.
my lenses are pentax 4:5.6 18-50 and 50-200.
please help me out,

thanks all,

Siavash

01-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #2

I'm new to this also...the auto settings kinda suck...I have been messing with the manual settings and getting good results..that will probably get better with experience
01-01-2015, 04:29 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I'm no expert, but it sounds like you are expecting the camera to do things it can't do. The camera must be able to "see" the thing to focus on it, It can't focus on fireworks, or a person in the dark, it doesn't know the flash is going to go off. In both these cases, I'd switch to manual settings, and manual focus. For fireworks, just focus far away, just short of infinity. And you'll need a tripod because with those lenses, you probably can't get enough light for fireworks, or portraits in the dark.
Do some reading about night photography and get used to shooting in manual. You will probably enjoy it. Practice, practice, practice
01-01-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-01 is a nice camera (I have one) but it is not the best on low-light/night-time.

However, when "shooting at night or dark room", most SLR AF systems will fail. In very dark conditions, you are best to use MF. The K-01 has a very nice MF option" 'focus peaking'. (In the stup, check that Focus peaking is enabled.) You can use any lens in MF mode, but you will find hat MF lenses have a longer focus ring path. Their focus ring is much much more accurate and precise than most AF lenses (incl. your 18-55mm and 50-200mm).

Another option for low light is to buy a fast lens: eg a 'fast fifty' (50 mm f1.4). This will work well in low light, but not in dark room or at night time.

So what to do?

In very dark conditions, learn to use MF. Set Focus peaking On in your camera. And consider to buy a MF lens. There are plenty of older MF lenses (eg M 50mm f1.4) available on the market place for $50-100.

Hope that the advice will help.

01-01-2015, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by siavashdm Quote
I recently bought this device (k-01), unfortunately I am not happy with AF, I am beginner photographer, not very familiar with photo shooting.
I have problem in shooting at night or dark room. the camera did not identify the subject, and can not even focus.
My K-01 snaps to focus in a near dark room without any problems UNLESS I have disabled the Focus Assist light or AF is set to 'focus tracking' mode (which auto disables focus assist light).

So check this on your camera.
01-01-2015, 05:45 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Understanding how the auto focus works would be the first place to start,the camera needs contrast to be able to auto focus.Use the center focus point and put it on an area in the photo that has the best contrast.It's not just the light but the contrast,low light = low contrast,take a large white sheet of paper and filling the frame try to focus on it then take a pencil and put a small black line in the center of the paper and try to focus on it again making sure the center focus point is on the small black line.You will find that the camera won't focus on the plain white paper but will easily focus with the small black line.Look for contrast points and focus on them.Faster lenses would also help as they allow more light to enter the camera.

Last edited by bschriver11; 01-01-2015 at 05:53 PM.
01-01-2015, 09:32 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The fireworks can easily be captured with your lenses, I have used my 18-135 for the same thing multiple times hand held. Just remember to focus manually as mentioned for the shots in the dark. The autofocus assist light is your friend in all but the long range shots.
01-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #8

Original Poster
Dear all,
Thank you for your quick reply,
I tried Focus peaking+manual F, seems work fine.
Thank you all again,