Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #1

Help! My Pentax K-01 Will Not Turn On

My K-01 was working fine yesterday. Today, I turned the switch and the camera won't turn on. No lights, no sound, simply nothing. I was hoping that the battery had died so I charged it for several hours until the charger light went out. Tried again and same thing. Saw a few other threads about similar episodes so I also tried removing the SDHC card and using a different lens. Nothing.

Any suggestions anyone?

01-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It might still be a battery problem. I mean, I hope its a battery problem, because buying a new battery is not that expensive. Can you try the camera with another battery (fully charged, and left outside of the camera overnight?)
Also, did the camera get wet or anything like that recently? Do the buttons (on/off) work normally, or is it maybe stuck, damaged?
01-03-2015, 04:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
The camera is in excellent condition physically. Has only been used a little and has no damage. Buttons work normally and all contacts look pristine. I don't have another battery with which to test it. I will leave the battery out tonight and try again tomorrow. I do recall that the battery indicator was at max yesterday. Yet, when I inserted the battery into the charger today, the LED blinked for a moment before starting to charge and took ~5 hours before the LED went out. I am hoping it is just the battery.
01-03-2015, 10:52 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Try re-seating the memory card and door, too. I had a similar panic once, and it just turned out to be the card/door in a slightly open position.

01-04-2015, 06:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I was having a problem with my K-01 where my camera would power up and seem to work until I actually tried to take a picture. As soon as the shutter tripped, the camera would lock up and go black. If I took the battery out and charged it again, the camera would power up again...until I tried to take a picture. Then it would die. I thought something was possibly shorting out my battery when the shutter would trip, but it turned out just to be the battery. I bought a non-Pentax battery from B&H and my K-01 has been working fine ever since.
01-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #6

Original Poster
I tried again today after leaving the battery out of the camera for 24 hours. Nothing. Also tried re-seating the memory card and without the memory card. Still nothing. Guess it really is dead. :-(
01-05-2015, 04:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

It still could be your battery. The replacement battery I bought was the Watson version of the D-LI90 from B&H. It was around $20. I just find it hard to believe that a low-mileage camera that was working fine one day, suddenly dies the next. It's got to be something fairly simple, I think.

02-08-2015, 03:53 PM   #8

Original Poster
Work kept me away for a while but I do want to resolve this. Shortly after the camera died, my LG cellphone died in the same mysterious way. It was working just fine when I went to sleep. When I woke up the next morning, it was dead. I tried charging it, leaving out the battery for a while and so on. It just won't turn on. What is happening to my electronics?

On an off chance, could it have something to do with the cold. There was a winter storm passing through here in the week that this happened.
02-08-2015, 05:09 PM   #9

Original Poster
I also ordered a D-LI90 replacement from Big Mike's at Amazon.com. I think it's a long shot but the other options are much more expensive so it's worth a try.

---------- Post added 02-08-15 at 05:44 PM ----------

I bought this camera in 2012, so I guess I am out of warranty. I looked up information on what I would have to do in case I need to send it in for repairs and came across some unusual stuff.

First, it seems that there is no Pentax.com website. That URL redirects to a Ricoh global site. So I went to the US Ricoh website, clicked on Support, and then on Product Repairs (on the left). That web page directs one to a third party website for repairs: Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation - Service & Repair

The Precision Camera website offers repair quotes. When I selected the Pentax K-01 (listed in the category Digital SLR Cameras - there is no category for mirrorless cameras), it took me to a payment page with a price of $166.50. No questions were asked about the problem or the condition of the camera!

Am I right in assuming that they have a bunch of refurbs lying around, and when you send in yours, they just ship you a refurb? Basically, like buying a refurb as a replacement. Maybe they swap the electronics in the body that you send in, but other than these approaches, how else can they quote a fixed price for repairs?

Is there anyone here who has experience with the product repair process and can confirm or deny this? If you don't use this prepay option, do they still always ask you for this same amount or do you get an actual quote based on the actual problem in the camera?
04-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
well what was the outcome?"
04-19-2015, 10:00 AM   #11

Original Poster
Nothing worked. Now I am looking to sell it for parts.
04-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was reading in another post, put the battery in turn it on and leave it on for a while, I MEAN LEAVE IT IN THE ON POSITION.But use a new battery.
04-28-2015, 11:54 AM   #13

Original Poster
No luck. Still dead.
04-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

check your sdcard door switch

---------- Post added 04-30-15 at 04:50 PM ----------

or squeeze the door forward and try it
05-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #15

Original Poster
Tried all possibilities: door open; door closed; with card; without card. Normally, when I insert a SD card, the card access light blinks momentarily, even if the camera is turned off. Now when I insert the card, nothing happens.