Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Where can I buy lens felt?

Hello,

I'm looking to buy some of the felt used to line metal lens caps. It's also on the insides of Pentax Ltd lens hoods.
I went to a couple of regular fabric stores but the closest thing I could find was velour, which is similar, but not what I want.
I'm attempting to line the inside of my deglassed teleconverter for an auto extension tube. The tube is creates functional macros, but flares like crazy.
I actually lined it with the velour and much of the flare is gone. Just by looking at the velour, it seems to reflect more light than the lens fabric, hence my desire to buy some and try it out.

01-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think you would be better off with coating the inside of the tube with some matte black paint.
01-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Protostar Telescope Making & Upgrading

This self adhesive telescope flocking is really black, of lower reflectivity than Krylon Camo Matt black.

The downside of flock is that particles of lint attach to it, it might need vacuum cleaning occasionally
01-05-2015, 02:10 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Edmondsoptics:http://www.edmundoptics.com/lab-production/general-tools/light-absorbing-bla...-material/1502
Believe it is often called flocking material. BTW I have not ordered from Edmonds their flocking material.

01-05-2015, 03:20 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Micro-tools might also have what you need:

Light Baffle

A hobby shop catering to model train and/or doll house modelers might also be a good source.

Steve
01-05-2015, 03:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would use a strip of leather (cut from old-torn leather wallet) and use it as lining (turning inside out) for metal lens cap.
01-05-2015, 04:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
The telescope flocking really isn't going to buy any noticebale advantage over the Matte black. I've tested it against the Rustoleum version of the matte paint wombat mentions, and there is no noticeable difference in performance between the two in real world shooting.
Hi, DC,
There is a big difference between brushed Rustoleum Flat Black (outer rectangle) and Protostar flocking ( inner annulus)
I took this photo with the ring flash to get maximum bounce for a measurement in Gimp

The Rustoleum brightness is 30/255 while the Protostar flock is only 7/255

The Krylon is not as low reflectivity as the brushed Rustoleum but sometimes is easier to apply.
(The Vegemite has not been measured, I love it for breakfast)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
01-05-2015, 04:38 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Protostar Telescope Making & Upgrading

This self adhesive telescope flocking is really black, of lower reflectivity than Krylon Camo Matt black.

The downside of flock is that particles of lint attach to it, it might need vacuum cleaning occasionally

There have been some serious issues with Protostar customer service. I suggest that anyone looking for flocking go to scopestuff. I've used his material many times and he delivers quick.

ScopeStuff

obin
01-05-2015, 05:24 PM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Obin Robinson Quote
There have been some serious issues with Protostar customer service. I suggest that anyone looking for flocking go to scopestuff. I've used his material many times and he delivers quick.

ScopeStuff

obin
That is absolutely correct. In the astronomy world Protostar has been noted for serious issues with customer service. I've dealt with ScopeStuff many times, with nothing but excellent, quick service!
01-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
but extension tubes for macrophotography are exactly the opposite - a classic highly lit scenario where the minimal difference in reflectivity between the paint and the flocking will least matter, since the obvious problems sought to be avoided are caused by the specularity of the light rather than its intensity.
Hi DC, I have nearly used up the Krylon matt black, so next time I will try the Rustoleum spray paint you mention.

Here is a test of the bore of a macro tube I made for the 4x5 Speed Graphic.

The bore was originally painted with the Krylon Matt Black spray.

I stuck a little rectangle of flock in the bore to compare the low angle specular reflection of the two surfaces.

Photographed using the Pentax - m macro f/4 100mm at iso 400, f/32 and 1/15th
Results:
The source, CFL lamp is almost RGB 255,255,255 in the bright spots

The reflection off the Paint: RGB 255,157,74

The reflection off the Flock: 16,7,4
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
01-06-2015, 02:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A word of warning on flocking !!.

No matter how it is applied some always come loose. As it, and its adhesive, ages more comes loose.

Loose flock and any adhesive on it is quickly attracted to the electostaticaly charged sensor in your dslr.
You get the most humungous dust bunnies and where it touches with any adhesive the resulting mess will reduce you to tears.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/43-gatherings-events-groups/41021-kiwi-pe...ml#post2938784

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/253765-d...o-m100-f4.html

The leather idea posted earlier is most appreciated.. thankyou.!