Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2015, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #16

To get rid of the "bang, straight in your face" look you'll want a flash that not only tilts but also swivels.
I'll let Jerry Ghionis explain how to use it:

http://youtu.be/H2nNxaBA6ss?t=1h18m28s

Good luck on your choice,
Karet

01-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #17

P-TTL is really useful to have when using flash on-camera and working with moving subjects, because it accounts for all variables and allows you to concentrate on how much flash exposure you want in the image, via flash exposure compensation. So you are free to change aperture, shutter speed, ISO, head angle and subject distance and the TTL will adjust flash power to compensate. Most of the older Auto mode flashes don't know what aperture, shutter speed or ISO you are using and so won't adjust for these. They usually put limits on the aperture values you can use to get correct exposure, which can be a problem when attempting to use a wide aperture for shallow depth of field portraiture, for example. However, the P-TTL flashes are generally a lot more expensive.

I have a Nissin 360TW, which is similar to the AF 280T but with a few more features. I find it works pretty well and is fairly versatile for an older flash. It has a safe trigger voltage for use on modern cameras. It has three auto levels, three manual levels and an auxiliary front-facing flash. It's more powerful than the Pentax (GN36) and usually cheaper. You can sometimes find it with the tele and wide adapters on ebay. Auto exposure is pretty consistent, although it does tend to under-expose when bouncing, but you can compensate when you get used to it.
01-06-2015, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #18
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

One more advantage with auto mode over p-TTL; this is as far as I know only a problem with the K-5 family, but they tend to expose inconsistently when bouncing the flash in p-TTL mode. I get far more consistent exposure in auto mode.

No such problem with the K-3, neither is it with the K-30/K-50 from what I have seen.

Of course, if you shoot under fairly stable lighting conditions, using manual mode will give you the most consistent exposure - no room for surprises when you leave nothing to automation. But I'm not there, at least not yet. Camera in M, flash in auto for the time being.
01-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mistahk Quote
I wouldn't buy the used one. You newer know is it still flashing well. Is it not "burnt" a little bit or more, depending how heavily it was used. I own myself AF360GZ. Three things I can tell. The head is only swinging up and down, no left right rotation. The battery door in most cases gets broken after some using. It has some "moods" sometimes and can be unpredictable. (Maybe it's just mine)
Yep, I got broken battery door too. Can use by inserting small piece of card stock along upper edge when closing to force the battery door to stay closed. Sort of a poor system for such an expensive flash!

01-06-2015, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #20
mee
Veteran Member

Not reading through thirty million responses. But I would say make sure you get a flash (regardless of brand) that has a head that BOTH swivels AND tilts. That way you can bounce the flash off of any object (and get softer, less ugly light) and direct it from where you want it.

---------- Post added 01-06-15 at 06:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Karet Quote
To get rid of the "bang, straight in your face" look you'll want a flash that not only tilts but also swivels.
I'll let Jerry Ghionis explain how to use it:

http://youtu.be/H2nNxaBA6ss?t=1h18m28s

Good luck on your choice,
Karet
Oh I see someone did cover it. Good work!
01-07-2015, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you're doing studio work then manual is all you need. For spontaneous (eg parties and events) P-TTL is great for increasing your keeper percentage.
01-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #22

Original Poster
So, i finally decided to buy a Metz. Like always i think its saver to spend some more money once and don't have to regret it (red some negative stuff about YN). And since Metz is a german company and i am from germany i am fine with spending some more money. Thanks so much guys for all your help here, i really appreciate it. Have an awesome day

01-07-2015, 03:04 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Lost Forever Quote
So, i finally decided to buy a Metz. Like always i think its saver to spend some more money once and don't have to regret it (red some negative stuff about YN). And since Metz is a german company and i am from germany i am fine with spending some more money. Thanks so much guys for all your help here, i really appreciate it. Have an awesome day
Which model did you buy?
01-08-2015, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Karet Quote
Which model did you buy?
I bought the "Metz mecablitz 52 AF-1". Decided to go with the higher model so i can use him as "Master/Controller/Slave" and i can use it as strobe for up to 50 flashes in case i want to try this from time to time. =)
01-08-2015, 09:10 AM   #25
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lost Forever Quote
I bought the "Metz mecablitz 52 AF-1". Decided to go with the higher model so i can use him as "Master/Controller/Slave" and i can use it as strobe for up to 50 flashes in case i want to try this from time to time. =)
Good choice. You'll never be sorry to have more power when bouncing And it's quite easy to use it as an off-camera slave with your built-in flash as master.

Some tips on bouncing - and using "the black foamie thing": http://neilvn.com/tangents/about/black-foamie-thing/
01-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Good choice. You'll never be sorry to have more power when bouncing And it's quite easy to use it as an off-camera slave with your built-in flash as master.

Some tips on bouncing - and using "the black foamie thing": http://neilvn.com/tangents/about/black-foamie-thing/
Thanks a lot again! =)
Few days here and i already love you guys for taking so much time for me. Really helped me a lot here =)