Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #1

New Lens (that isn't)

Having just bought a new Pentax K-50 package with the two DA L kit lenses, I was very excited to receive the new 50mm F/1.8 that I recently ordered. That excitement soon dissipated as the lens that I was pulling out of the box did not look or feel as new as either of the two kit lenses I had received with my camera package. I thought, maybe it is just an older lens that has been on a shelf? But upon removal of the rear lens cap, there seems to be scrape marks where it has been put on and off of a camera, and there is a lot of dust on the rear and front glass, as well as a giant fingerprint smudge right smack in the middle of the front glass. :-/ The lens barrel itself seems to be fairly clean, except for a half-inch long hairline scrape.

I am rather disappointed. My mind toggled between chalking it up to bad luck, cleaning it and using it anyways, and being upset that my new lens is *not* and sending it back rather than risking having a used lens with used lens problems (for the cost of a new lens!).

It was ordered from a major company but processed through a third party dealer.

Being a "noob" I do not want to make a big stink out of nothing, but my eyes and my gut tell me that this is not a new lens. :-(

01-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hard to tell. It may be one that someone put on a camera in a store and tried once to see if he liked it. It shouldn't show wear after one time, but if he wasn't careful with that plastic mount, it may have a scratch or two.

Dust in the box is not terribly rare. Pentax's boxes are not sealed, so stuff can get in there if it sat on a warehouse shelf or certain packaging was used. The fingerprint, though, seems like carelessness. At the very least, someone obviously took it out of the box to inspect it and did not clean it afterwards.
01-06-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you should have every right to return that lens or exchange it for a new one. Sometimes things slip through the cracks even at reputable dealers, but depending on the third party (where'd you order from?), they could also be to blame- especially if they offered you a bargain price.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

After cleaning it up, how does it look and, more importantly, how does it function?

01-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Equus17 Quote
My mind toggled between chalking it up to bad luck, cleaning it and using it anyways, and being upset that my new lens is *not* and sending it back rather than risking having a used lens with used lens problems (for the cost of a new lens!).
I would vote for the option not listed - NOT getting upset, but getting a new replacement.
01-06-2015, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's not a rare lens, nor is it expensive; there's no need to keep it and be disappointed. If you paid a new price it's perfectly reasonable to expect a new product. I would call the company and explain the problem. Perhaps they'll offer a partial credit rather than having to deal with a return. If not, send it back and get a new one.
01-06-2015, 05:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
I would call the company and explain the problem. Perhaps they'll offer a partial credit rather than having to deal with a return.
I agree with this... as long as it functions fine.

01-06-2015, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Equus17 Quote

It was ordered from a major company but processed through a third party dealer.

(
That sounds an awful lot like Amazon.

I agree with what others have said: If the lens seems OK, clean it up and keep it. But definitely contact
the seller and see if they'll offer a partial refund. Even if it was only demoed once, the fact that it was
returned to the box in such a 'dirty' state negates any new price premium. They have sold you a used
lens, not so much because it's seen a lot of mileage but because they've denied you the pleasure of
that first fingerprint.
01-06-2015, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
because they've denied you the pleasure of
that first fingerprint.
Lol! If you find pleasure in putting fingerprints on glass, take comfort in the fact they will wipe off very easily thanks to the wonderful SP coating the front element has on it!
01-07-2015, 05:22 AM   #10
Banned

The fingerprint would be a deal breaker for me. My 50 had what looked like mounting scratches / scuff marks as well, but after countless mounting / dismounting, those marks have disappeared. Perhaps they're manufacturing marks?

If you indeed bought through Amazon, and you're otherwise happy with the lens, contact Amazon with your concern about it's "newness" and suggest you'd be open to a partial refund, they're usually open to this. I got 25% back on a new 18 - 135 WR because it didn't state in the description the lens was from a kit, rather than a retail boxed one.
01-07-2015, 06:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If the seller represented it as new and it isn't, that's a breach. I would return it just so my money wasn't going to a liar.
01-07-2015, 07:39 AM   #12

Hi!, I would like to offer my 2 cents worth...

You paid for a new kit and it sounds like you did not receive it, return it, the seller should pay the return shipping and give you a full refund.

Both B&H have this kit or better for the same or less money, you will not pay tax, free shipping, some have % reward points and you can get the extended Pentax 2 year warranty for $20. If you use the process on this site to purchase it, you will help out this site also :-)

Here are the links to both vendors for the K-50 Kits, both will match each other:

Pentax K-50 Digial SLR Camera Black,W/ 18-55 WR & 50-200 WR Lenses W/Acc Bundle 10905 C

Pentax K-50 | B&H Photo Video

$596.95 Pentax K-50 Digial SLR Camera with DA L 18-55 WR & 50-200 WR Lenses, Black, - Bundle With AF-200FG Dedicated Shoe Mount Flash, 16GB Class 10 SDHC Card, Photo Bag, Tiffen DFX Essentials Digital Filter Software, - Now with 4GB Eye Fi Card
01-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I would get in touch with the seller and return the item as well.
Or if you are still willing to keep them, seller should offer a partial refund.

Don't let them get away with it or else they will keep on doing it thinking clients are nothing but mindless... things.
01-07-2015, 12:50 PM   #14

Original Poster
It was, indeed, from Amazon.

I wrote to the seller, and I received a courteous and prompt reply. I think the seller honestly thought that "not used very long" equates to "brand new in box".

Here is a portion of her reply:
"I did take the lens out of the box, put it on my camera a few times and walked around the house testing it and comparing it to some of my other lenses. I was mainly interested in the quality of the optics and making sure the motor worked correctly. Our house is very dusty since we live near some road construction and I packed it at night so I didn't see the dust and markings. I never took the lens out of the house."

:-/

While I have not dealt with third partyvendors, I know Amazon in the past has been very proactive when dealing with returns of a faulty item.

I am hesitant to clean up the lens, because what if beneath the dust and fingerprints something else is wrong? This woman basically said "I used it to check it out a few times", indicating not only that she has used it, but most likely that she had it for a little while (a few times...), and most importantly that she found it lacking.
01-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Return... keep it simple I would say. Better safe than sorry!