Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2015, 12:09 PM   #1

Kr and old lenses

I have started using the Kr, and have managed to understand some of the controls, manual etc.
I am now looking at using my old lenses.
I have an old Tamron 85-210, and a Pentax A 28-80 both pentax K fitting I think
Having looked at a few articles I am a bit baffled how to change the settings in the menu.
Can anyone advise please that has a Kr.
Thankyou.

01-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Will this help?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html
01-07-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blink Quote
Pentax A 28-80
If this is an 'A' lens then as long as you have the lens in the 'A' setting, there is nothing to change, it should work just like a modern lens, except for AF of course. No idea about the Tamron but if it has an 'A' setting the same applies.

However, there is no reason (that anyone has yet found) to not change the camera menu settings to allow for manual lenses. Just follow the instructions referenced in the post by @K57XR
01-07-2015, 12:44 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If this is an 'A' lens then as long as you have the lens in the 'A' setting, there is nothing to change, it should work just like a modern lens, except for AF of course. No idea about the Tamron but if it has an 'A' setting the same applies.

However, there is no reason (that anyone has yet found) to not change the camera menu settings to allow for manual lenses. Just follow the instructions referenced in the post by @K57XR
Oh I think I have it. I changed the a aperture ring setting to 2 and set the lens to A and it works.
However when I press the green button this also activates the shutter? Is that correct?
Do I need to reset the menu if I go back to the newer lenses with auto focus, or shoot them in manual?

01-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oh I think I have it. I changed the a aperture ring setting to 2 and set the lens to A and it works.
However when I press the green button this also activates the shutter? Is that correct?
Do I need to reset the menu if I go back to the newer lenses with auto focus, or shoot them in manual?
You do not need to press the green button if you have the lens set to 'A'. You will be able to set the aperture using the camera and use Tv/Av etc. make sure you press the little button to turn the ring all,the way to the 'A' position.

If you do use the aperture ring in M mode, pressing the green button does not activate the shutter. It does however cycle the mirror and the viewfinder will momentarily black out.
01-07-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If I'm not mistaken that might be the camera has the green button set for either Stop-down-metering or DOF preview, in which case it will activate the shutter but you're not actually taking a picture.

Edit: No, it will not activate the shutter - my apologies! What you may be hearing is the aperture stopping down.
01-07-2015, 01:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

No, it activates the aperture blades in the lens. When you take photos, here are the sounds you hear:
- Shake reduction
- aperture blades moving to the selected aperture
- mirror snapping up
- Shutter opening

And then it goes in reverse, with these things closing. Green button by default just closes the aperture blades and takes a metering reading, then adjusts shutter speed. But you can customize the green button to do something else (this button is a Pentax specialty). If you customize it to do DoF preview, it will move the aperture blades down and keep them there for you to see the photo.

Anyway, if your lens has A setting on aperture ring (usually have to press a little button to choose it), you don't need to use the green button. Just select Av or P mode on camera and go hog wild taking photos! You choose the aperture on the camera body, or in automatic modes, the camera does that for you. DA lenses are basically constantly in A-mode, this is why many of them don't even have aperture ring anymore.

01-07-2015, 01:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh I think I have it. I changed the a aperture ring setting to 2 and set the lens to A and it works. However when I press the green button this also activates the shutter? Is that correct? Do I need to reset the menu if I go back to the newer lenses with auto focus, or shoot them in manual?
The instructions in the link above are for non-A lenses. You have an 'A' lens so you do not need to use those instructions if you keep the lens in the 'A' setting, it will function exactly like a modern lens. If you take the lens off of the 'A' setting then the camera sees the lens as all manual and now you do need to use the instructions and green button stop-down metering.

Just put the lens on 'A' never take it off that setting and forget you ever read any of this stuff.

The menu setting "allow aperture ring" can be on all the time, it makes no difference to new lenses. Why it even exists is a mystery.
01-07-2015, 01:50 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The instructions in the link above are for non-A lenses. You have an 'A' lens so you do not need to use those instructions if you keep the lens in the 'A' setting, it will function exactly like a modern lens. If you take the lens off of the 'A' setting then the camera sees the lens as all manual and now you do need to use the instructions and green button stop-down metering.

Just put the lens on 'A' never take it off that setting and forget you ever read any of this stuff.

The menu setting "allow aperture ring" can be on all the time, it makes no difference to new lenses. Why it even exists is a mystery.
Thanks everyone.
I worked that out after making the changes in the menu.....
I have managed to change back to auto so its just remembering to set the dial on A when I put the lens in.
I think you are correct on the green button noise as no pictures were actually taken when I checked.
I might be back!!!!!
But for now,
Thankyou very much for the help!!!!!!!!!
01-07-2015, 04:15 PM   #10

I have started using the Kr, and have managed to understand some of the controls, manual etc.
I am now looking at using my old lenses.
I have an old Tamron 85-210, and a Pentax A 28-80 both pentax K fitting I think
Having looked at a few articles I am a bit baffled how to change the settings in the menu.
Can anyone advise please that has a Kr.
Thankyou.
A bit late, Blink, but for the Tamron lens, you'll have to go
to the Custom Function section (the second last one, if memory
serves) and set up so you can use an Aperture type lens.

As for the Pentax A-28-80, leave it on "A" and it's just like
an AF lens ….. minus the AF .

Cheers,

Jack