Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2015, 02:59 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by trishytee Quote
Well whatever it is doing what is the solution. Plus why do that if I take the photo in daylight, being no noise problem??
The camera doesn't know you're shooting in daylight. It just takes the black shot because it assumes you will have a noisy shot.

It sounds like there might be a glitch in the firmware because if you have the High ISO noise off, it should solve your problem. Perhaps try resetting your phone to defaults and then adjust the settings again? I'm not sure if you can, but perhaps you can reinstall the firmware. I'm not sure if our cameras are smart enough to stop you from reloading the firmware you already have on your camera or if they'll reject it straight up.

01-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote

It sounds like there might be a glitch in the firmware because if you have the High ISO noise off, it should solve your problem.
Dark Frame Subtraction and High ISO Noise handling do different things.
01-10-2015, 10:35 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I don't have a k-7, but it looks like the dark frame subtraction can't be turned off for exposures longer than 30 seconds. There are a few threads about it https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/66277-k7-long-exposures.html. It can be completely disabled on the k5 series, I'd guess on the k3 as well but double check on that if you're going for an upgrade.

You could take multiple 30 second exposures and stack later in post processing.
Thanks, Brian, yes I am thinking of upgrading, but really will rethink this, as it is a pain in the derriere missing out on shots. I guess the second K7 idea is not too bad, but I don't have the lenses to do that.
01-11-2015, 12:18 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I guess the second K7 idea is not too bad, but I don't have the lenses to do that.
It just needs one lens that's not on your other K7, Trishy!

At f8, the kit lens will be sharp enough! :-)

01-11-2015, 08:10 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, Brian, yes I am thinking of upgrading, but really will rethink this, as it is a pain in the derriere missing out on shots. I guess the second K7 idea is not too bad, but I don't have the lenses to do that.
I'm worried I wasn't clear- you can completely turn off Dark Frame Subtraction on the k5 series (I've verified with my k5iis), meaning a 100 second exposure is finished and ready to go after a grand total of 100 seconds (plus a fraction of a second thinking time). There's no extra waiting, and it would work fine for what you're doing.

Your k7 is frustrating you for this application, a second would be an awkward workaround imo.

Look at the lower tier cameras if a used k5 is out of reach. The manuals of the k30/50 seem to indicate Dark Frame Subtraction can be turned off completely for them as well (or Slow Shutter Speed NR as Pentax calls it), but I'd also verify this is the case with someone who owns one. Some older models may also be ok for you (it can be turned off on the now dirt cheap k100d), the k20 and k7 unfortunately suffer from stupidity of design here.
01-14-2015, 07:30 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Afaik, the only way dark frame subtraction can be turned off on the K7 is using debug mode. You can look it up and find out how if you want but personally I don't like messing with my cameras software and would rather upgrade to something newer that will do what I want.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 01-14-2015 at 07:53 AM.