Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2015, 11:16 AM   #1

Grainy photo

Can you have a grainy photo that looks good?
I have taken a photo in the evening as the sun is setting.
Please can you comment and make a few suggestions
1/250 f16 iso3200

thanks

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 

Last edited by blink; 01-08-2015 at 11:18 AM. Reason: edit
01-08-2015, 11:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Honestly? I love it... don't change a thing!
01-08-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure what you mean? Is it OK to have grain? Yes, many programs such as Lightroom give the option to add grain. Can you take that picture without grain? Yes, using a lower ISO.

If you want a critique I would say having the subject dead center in the image bothers me more than the grain. If I were to change anything in PP I would crop it differently and use LR to make the noise look coarser, more like film grain, and I think the horizon is tilted a bit. But the noise itself actually works in that image.
01-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't like color noise so I'd reduce that. I might add back grain to replace it. The hard part is getting the grain to match the final image size, because the visibility and impact of grain will change as you change sizes.

01-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I don't like color noise so I'd reduce that. I might add back grain to replace it. The hard part is getting the grain to match the final image size, because the visibility and impact of grain will change as you change sizes.
Thank you for your comments.

If I was to print this would it be better on glossy or matt finish, or is there something else, or is it just your preference ?
Thanks for the help.
01-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi, Blink. Hope you don't mind but a picture is worth a thousand words. So I have attached a reworked alternative to your original. It has been cropped, denoised, softened and simulated grain added back in. The beauty of doing some post-processing is you have a variety of results at your fingertips.

Jack
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
01-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd consider converting to black and white. I find noise often looks better, and you can get away with more sharpening, etc. in black and white. I'd add grain back in, too, because it may actually help. Aside, I find adding grain to a softer image can help with detail and look good. There's nothing wrong with noise, and there is a good chance that in printing problems will go away.
01-10-2015, 01:38 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your help.
I am only using Picasso's for editing which has its limitations. As I am only really starting out I have a lot to learn and your comments have been very valuable.
Thankyou

01-10-2015, 01:42 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's the biggie with Picasa - no noise reduction.
01-11-2015, 06:57 AM   #10

Original Poster
JUST to update.
I have just had the photo enlarged to 12 x 8 and it looks good, but that is just my opinion as I am just starting to understand terminology from the comments and what to look for in a digital shot.
The graininess looks fine, while the tinges of colour on the waves and in the clouds are subtle, while at that size the person and dog are slightly more blurred, but not so you could not decipher what they are.
Dslr picture talking seems easier to manipulate
than film in some respects because of the capability to edit?. Using film I would have taken a few shots of the same subject at different settings, had them processed, crossed my fingers and hoped.
I feel I'm cheating a bit. Even over exposed shots I have tried can be edited...so a not so good shot can be made to look ok.
Anyway thanks everyone again!!!!!