Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-50: Viewfinder and bad eyes

Ok so my eyesight isn't great. It's not terrible... most of the time I don't wear glasses. But it's enough where my MF shots seem out of focus when I look at them on the screen. I understand that the K-50 has an adjustable viewfinder to correct for bad eyesight, but my eyesight is just barely bad enough where my own eyes strain and defeat it, but doing so throws the MF out on the shot.

Anyone else have this problem? You would be someone who has very slight/mild eyesight issues, not someone who takes off their glasses to a blurry world.

This sucks! I bought a Pentax-M 50mm F2 to learn with and I can't seem to get the focus right. Tried this on my AF lenses set to MF and the same thing, so I know it's me

01-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1. Cut eyeglass lens into rectangle
2. Stuff cut lens into VF cover
3. ???
4. Profit
01-08-2015, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Adjust your viewfinder diopter so that the AF area brackets appear in focus. If you have doubts about the adjustment, go do some work in the yard and come back 1/2 hour later and bring the camera to eye. The bracket lines should appear sharp. If not, try again.

As for getting accurate focus with your M 50/2, here are a few bullet points:
  • Focus confirm using the AF system has poor precision and often results in out-of-focus results with faster lenses
  • Manual focus using the stock screen has a focus sensitivity of about f/4. What this means is that the ability to detect out-of-focus at f/2 maximum aperture is about the same as at f/4 maximum aperture. This is a little better than using focus confirm and much worse than the focus screens on SLR cameras from the 1980s. This is the case for the stock focus screens across brands and is not just a Pentax problem.
  • Some users on this site report improved manual focus with the stock screen by simply using the Pentax O-ME53 Viewfinder Magnifier attachment
  • Focus peaking and magnified live view provides a good alternative to the viewfinder when working on tripod
  • Many users on the site own aftermarket focus screens having focusing aids. Such a screen, when properly calibrated is about as good as it gets for manual focus.

Steve
01-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

They make a Diopter adapter for the modern K cameras that goes up to -5 (the built in one goes to -2.5) and I use one on my K-5iis and K-3. Makes like a lot simpler for me. They're tough to get in the US as Pentax US has a history of lying to customers and telling them they aren't made, aren't imported into the US, and other BS - but they are you just have to look hard to find them. I have one for the old film bodies up for sale on the Marketplace if you want to see what they look like (but that one is NOT going to fit the K-50). It slides onto the rails that the current cushion fits on.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/283868-sal...old-stock.html

01-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I don't understand. The diopter adjustment wheel on the camera lets you compensate for imperfect sight. I need glasses only for reading and near-field, and can't usefully use LiveView without them, but the viewfinder with diopter adjustment allows me to mimic my glasses prescription and works perfectly for me on the K5 and K3.

Do you have it adjusted correctly? Look through the viewfinder and adjust the diopter with the wheel to maximize sharpness of the autofocus frame to your sight. This should then work for all distances, since you are actually viewing an image on a focusing screen.
01-08-2015, 04:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Have you thought to use live view and enable focus peaking?
01-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #7

Original Poster
Paul it's easier for my roommate who's eyesight is significantly worse... her eyes can't make the adjustment so they just "give up" focusing, and she can then adjust the K-50's diopter and get a good fix. Me, my correction is so slight that my eyes fight it. So I can't get it quite right... and the Pentax-M 50mm is unforgiving lol.

Steve I think I'll give your "yardwork" method a shot

01-08-2015, 06:02 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Suleeto Quote
Me, my correction is so slight that my eyes fight it.
If so, then the diopter correction is not your issue.

Steve
01-08-2015, 06:52 PM   #9

Original Poster
Whatever it is, it's a nuisance.

And like I said the roommate can adjust it fine but I can't.
01-08-2015, 07:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If so, then the diopter correction is not your issue.

Steve
I think you hit this spot on. As someone who wears glasses I leave the diopter at default and keep my glasses on. I find it to troubling to not have my glasses on as moving from the camera to just looking means I have to constantly put my glasses on/off.
If you need glasses but don't wear them "most of the time" the focus of your photo's is probably a reflection of what you are actually seeing.
01-09-2015, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I have (or had) the same problem. I ordered the O-ME53 Pentax Magnifying Eyecup for $29. Here's the official description:
The Pentax O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe magnifying eyecup works with all Pentax DSLR bodies and offers 1.2 times magnification over the entire image field. This is ideal for critical focusing (e.g. macro photography), and when using manual focus lenses.

If you search there is a thread for it. For me, it works perfect!
01-09-2015, 02:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I think I've had the same problem... My eyesight is just a bit off, mostly in one eye. I never had much of a problem until I got the K3. I've struggled with the diopter, but have finally got it work well. I don't wear glasses all the time, and I've struggled to try and shoot with them on. I'm sure I'll have to break down and do it some day, but I'm stubborn right now.

As a question to some of you that have eyesight issues, have any considered trying the other eye? I only ask because in my case, my vision issues are really just with one eye. I could shoot with my left eye and everything would be fine. I've meant to train myself to do that, but haven't yet. It's probably as easy as training to use glasses, but I think I'd rather shoot left eyed. I'm a left-handed person in general anyway... just not for everything.
01-12-2015, 07:31 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The problem I find with wearing my glasses is A. Part of the view is restricted with them on,which annoys me. And B. since I wear trifocals I have to adjust how I look through the viewfinder with them to get a sharp image which then compounds A. I am left eye dominant so without my glasses I can get the diopter adjustment well enough but not completely, however I get a full view and I don't have to adjust how I am looking through glasses. Like others mentioned the downside is putting my glasses on and off to view what I have captured. A pair of eyeglass holders helps somewhat but it's still a bit of a pain. I found and purchased a Pentax +3 diopter but I haven't been happy using it continuously either but it is better for doing macro and closeups. I found my best solution at this point is to continue to shoot glassless using my left eye for most of what I shoot.