Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Preflash isn't typically visible.

01-14-2015, 11:17 AM   #17
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by el baroda Quote
I tried the 2-second set up as you suggested and saw 2 very distinct flashes of about the same intensity. The first looks like the "red eye reduction" flash.
Any comment?
That's your pre-flash. The intensity of the "real" flash might be weak or strong, depending on what exposure the camera needs.
01-15-2015, 06:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I tried the 2-second set up as you suggested and saw 2 very distinct flashes of about the same intensity. The first looks like the "red eye reduction" flash.
Any comment?
Switch red-eye reduction off and try again. If I switch the red-eye reduction off, I get one flash before the mirror goes up and one when the picture is taken. Tested on K100D + AF540FGZ.
01-16-2015, 11:53 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Preflash isn't typically visible.
As I said before, it is usually quite visible in the optical viewfinder. The main flash isn't at all, as then the mirror is up.
So, if you see flashing through the viewfinder, it is the pre-flash (and/or the redeye reduction, in case it is switched on).
Of course, this does not work with the K-01.

Using the 2 sec delay for the flash test doesn't make much sense to me, except that it may make it easier for you to concentrate on what's happening.

01-17-2015, 08:41 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
As I said before, it is usually quite visible in the optical viewfinder. The main flash isn't at all, as then the mirror is up.
So, if you see flashing through the viewfinder, it is the pre-flash (and/or the redeye reduction, in case it is switched on).
Of course, this does not work with the K-01.

Using the 2 sec delay for the flash test doesn't make much sense to me, except that it may make it easier for you to concentrate on what's happening.
I have to admit that I haven't paid attention to the optical viewfinder in that way so I will test it. I haven't noticed it, and most reports on this type of flash indicate that the pre-flash is hard to see for most but some people react to it and can see it.

The 2 second delay can be used to allow you to not look through the viewfinder and casually see the preflash is working.
01-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all for your input. With due respect to everyone, I am still very confused because of the conflicting material I have read here and elsewhere. Many claim that the "pre-flash" is not visible to the naked eye, while some claim the opposite. The important thing is I have found that both my built in and external flash are working well. Kind regards to all.
01-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Thank you all for your input. With due respect to everyone, I am still very confused because of the conflicting material I have read here and elsewhere. Many claim that the "pre-flash" is not visible to the naked eye, while some claim the opposite. The important thing is I have found that both my built in and external flash are working well. Kind regards to all.
It is visible, it is just hard to separate from the main flash unless you do some of the above things mentioned (look through the viewfinder to see it, use 2-second delay, etc)...

01-21-2015, 03:35 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Human reaction times are not fixed - people have different levels of calibration if you will. Some will see it and blink. Most will not. Some see it via aids like looking through the viewfinder which differentiates it so they know they saw it prior to the main flash which doesn't fire until the mirror is up. Does that help?
01-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
It is visible, it is just hard to separate from the main flash unless you do some of the above things mentioned (look through the viewfinder to see it, use 2-second delay, etc)...
I looked through the viewfinder and saw the "pre-flash". Thanks.

---------- Post added 01-23-2015 at 07:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Human reaction times are not fixed - people have different levels of calibration if you will. Some will see it and blink. Most will not. Some see it via aids like looking through the viewfinder which differentiates it so they know they saw it prior to the main flash which doesn't fire until the mirror is up. Does that help?
Yes, it does help. Thanks.