Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #1

My MZ-7 has thrown a wobbler !!!!!!!

Hi to you all. My MZ-7 with a 28-80 has seized up and will not function at-all. I have scoured the user manual for clues as to the problem but I cannot see anything that would lead me to a resolve.
I had inserted new CR2 batteries and loaded a film with the intention of taking some candid shots around a nearby indoor shopping centre.
Everything went as usual and the film loaded and confirmation of it showed in the LCD panel. I focused and took the shot but the mirror appears to have locked in the up position.
I have nothing but a totally black view through the view-finder and it appears that the batteries are now all but drained of power.
When the power switch was in the On position the counter was showing 2 in the screen and in an attempt to salvage the film I activated the Film Rewind button but it was not having the desired effect and upon opening the back as a final straw I found that considerably more than two frames had been transported across.
I had even resorted to removing the batteries in the hope that it would reset - but nothing.

Is this a known issue with the MZ-7 and is it a camera that is worth the expense of a "Camera Surgeon" or do I perhaps seek another one or even a different and updated model?

01-11-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would try to manually reset the mirror. That might bring the camera back to life, assuming the circuitry isn't to blame.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-11-2015, 10:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds a bit like the dreaded plastic gear failure, but in my experience the camera lights will all still function - you just can't take a shot.

Give Adams recommendation a go, but otherwise it may need a plastic gear replacing with a metal one.
03-20-2015, 06:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Unfortunately your camera is dead.
The MZ cameras were not bad, but the glass of that era is not good either.
With the old M or A generation lenses the pictures were brilliant

03-23-2015, 05:36 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Unfortunately your camera is dead.
The MZ cameras were not bad, but the glass of that era is not good either.
With the old M or A generation lenses the pictures were brilliant

Hi titrisol and to you all. Yes,the MZ-7 is well and truly dead but the burial will not be in the garden alongside of many years of deceased pets,it will be devoid of the Pentax SMC-FA 28-80 lens,the Pentax neck strap and batteries and sent out to scrap.
03-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Keep the neck strap!!!
it has a "pocket" for the remote that is super useful!

QuoteOriginally posted by ARoosterwithaCamera Quote
Hi titrisol and to you all. Yes,the MZ-7 is well and truly dead but the burial will not be in the garden alongside of many years of deceased pets,it will be devoid of the Pentax SMC-FA 28-80 lens,the Pentax neck strap and batteries and sent out to scrap.