Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #1

Triggering lencarta studio lights - help needed please

Hi all,

I own a K3, and I'm a relative beginner. I've decided to take my photography up a level, and after shadowing a professional photographer in a studio setting, and having a go myself, I've bought two second hand Lencarta EP300 lights with an Elichrom EL-Skyport hotshoe19351 transmitter and 19352 receiver to trigger the key light. This has been my introduction to flash lighting and I've not used P-TTL or any other external flashes.

All was working fine until the lights suddenly stopped firing. I've eliminated the possibility of it being the lights, and it is definitely a problem with the wireless triggering. I am seeking advice elsewhere on the trigger. However, should I be unable to overcome this issue, then I am hoping to use a simple wire. So my question is this: is there a way to trigger one of the lights using a wire? If so, which wire do I need?

There is a 3.5mm jack sync port on the light, and all I need to do is simply trigger it.

Thank you in advance.

01-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First thing to check is your shutter speed. Put the camera in "x mode".
Second thing to check is if the trigger is firmly seated on the hot shoe
Third thing is to see if the trigger will fire the strobe manually, many have a test button, try that if yours does.

And yes you can trigger by wire the k-3 has an x-sync port on the left. You can also buy hot shoe adapters with wired ports both x-sync and 3.5mm
01-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
Noc

Original Poster
Thanks jatrax. I should have mentioned that I spent a LONG time trying every possible issue with the triggers. I charged, changed batteries, pushed test buttons, tried different lights, played with the channels/groups, tried using while charging, tried this, tried that.

Does the wire go from the hotshoe into the light, thus bypassing the need for any wireless transmission? Finding such a wire is proving a little tricky.
01-11-2015, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Noc Quote
I should have mentioned that I spent a LONG time trying every possible issue with the triggers. I charged, changed batteries, pushed test buttons, tried different lights, played with the channels/groups, tried using while charging, tried this, tried that.
So you are certain the fault is in the triggers then? If so can you send back for replacement?

The wire is simple, it is just make/break circuit. As long as both ends have connectors that fit the sockets on each piece of equipment. I have cut and made my own in the past. I do not think there is a wire with x-sync on one end and 3.5mm on the other but it would not take much to make one. Let me check.......

---------- Post added 01-11-15 at 05:44 PM ----------

Just looked and I have a cable that has x-sync on one end and 1/4" male on the other and it fires my strobes no problem.

Here is one to 3.5mm: Impact Sync Cord Male Mini to Male PC (16') 9031440 B&H Photo

01-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #5
Noc

Original Poster
I'm about 99.9% certain. I'm getting advice and help elsewhere for them. Problem is, I bought them second hand, so a free replacement is likely out of the question.

Thanks for your help, I know what I need now.
01-11-2015, 09:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter

OK, good luck.

Just one last thought, make sure your shutter speed is below 1/180, that is sync speed on Pentax and the camera will not fire any flash if the shutter speed is higher.
01-12-2015, 04:11 AM   #7
Noc

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
OK, good luck.

Just one last thought, make sure your shutter speed is below 1/180, that is sync speed on Pentax and the camera will not fire any flash if the shutter speed is higher.
Thanks. Yes, I learnt that one the hard way the first time I used them