Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2015, 08:33 AM   #1

K-50 SDXC card not formatted

Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased a Pentax k-50 with a DA 18-135mm WR lens and am really enjoying it. It's my first DSLR and I'm still getting used to it but definitely feel it was worth it.

I'm having some trouble with my SD card. It was working fine for the first few days. The day before yesterday I popped it into the camera and it warned me "SD card not formatted". I was at an event so I formatted it on the camera and continued snapping away.

Today, I tried to transfer the photos to my Mac (which I think might be the problem) as others have mentioned problems on here. What I want to know is can I retrieve these photos without formatting the card and if so, how? any particular software i can use? my sd card is sandisk ultra sdxc 64 gb uHC-1 class 10 memory card.

I am not able to scroll through the photos on the camera.

Also, how can i prevent this from happening in the future?
thanks,

Last edited by teacoffeejunkie; 01-12-2015 at 08:52 AM. Reason: more to add
01-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you update the camera firmware ?
Latest K-50 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

I'm sorry i don't use mac but when i search i find
Memory Card Photo Recovery Software for Mac - Card Rescue
SanDisk Memory Card Recovery Software on Mac
,but on my windows i use iCare data recovery
or you should try to which your SD card to new one may be your SD have some defect
01-12-2015, 09:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Also, be careful to dismount the SD card prior to removing it from the computer. SD file index can be corrupted if its not dismounted properly.
01-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

A few hints that may be helpful:
  • Always take care to do a clean dismount (eject) of the card before removing. This ensures that all writes to the card are completed and that the filesystem is in a stable state.
  • Never use the format utility that came with your computer to format SDXC cards. This is particularly true for Mac.
  • Format using your camera is preferred
  • If you are unable to do the in-camera format, use the format utility from the SD Association Web site:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Steve

01-12-2015, 10:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My favorite is photorec ( PhotoRec - CGSecurity ). I hope you manage to get the photos back.

Once you have your photos back, destroy the card; it's unreliable.
01-13-2015, 12:08 PM   #6

Original Poster
i got the photos back. Thanks, everyone!
01-13-2015, 12:32 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by teacoffeejunkie Quote
i got the photos back. Thanks, everyone!
So, what was the fix?

01-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #8

Original Poster
used software to extract the photos and then reformatted the card. NEVER gna forget to dismount again! Take the SC card out immediately after transfer and reformat on the camera.
07-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #9

Original Poster
my apologies for the delayed reply. I believe I used stellar phoenix mac data recovery.