Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2015, 02:59 AM   #1

K200D 'dead', flashing battery symbol

Sorry to have my first post a negative one but I have the same problem.
I see other threads with similar problems but none answer the question.

Battery symbol flashes and camera is otherwise dead.

I have a set of fully charged eneloops and I have tried a set of alkaline powercell at over 1.5v each both in the camera and the grip, still no change.

The camera was working fine up until I started to use a Fujifilm F470 pocket camera (Crap) that I rebuilt from parts and I returned to the K200D for my grandsons concert and poof, dead, camera has been stored in a camera bag indoors and we never drop below 12c in the winter here so I don't think it's the cold. Even fitting the grip and switching on doesn't make any difference.

Second point, this has nothing to do with the above but can I get a replacement brass 'fingers' for under the on/off switch as the ends are looking a bit naff.

01-14-2015, 03:47 AM   #2

The K200D is very sensitive to the battery voltage. Possibly the battery contacts are corroded and need cleaning. You can clean them by scratching them with something sharp as well as a pencil - the graphite is a good conductor. Make sure your Enerloops are charged and not old. I wouldn't trust the alkaline batteries; try a set of Lithium batteries.
01-14-2015, 05:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree with the dirty contacts. I would try a pencil eraser first . Some times the contacts can get a clear film on them that prevents good electrical contact. An eraser can clean that off
01-14-2015, 05:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe You have to change the accus several times until the flashing will stop - if at all. I once told to the Pentax service to get recommendations about storing a DSLR in times You cannot use it. They told me always to store them with accu inside and to make a dozen shots once in a while, f.ex. once in a month.
I have heard of at least two members, who could reactivate their Pentax after some battery changes.

Good luck!

01-14-2015, 08:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies,
The contacts are spotless, no signs of corrosion or damp, batteries are fully up and the alkaline AAs are well full. If I could just get it to 'fire up' but just the flashing battery sign again. It was stored with the ecloops in and they were still charged up.
I have tried 'warming' up the camera in case of damp, why it should get damp in a photo bag in a cupboard I don't know, can't be that sensitive surely, if so, not much good as an every day camera if you can't leave it to one side for a couple of month.
01-14-2015, 09:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If the camera has been stored for a period of time without use, it could be something similar to this member's experience with an *ist:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/29-welcomes-introductions/285321-my-first...ml#post3111539
QuoteQuote:
I bought the *istDL last October on ebay auction for about $35 including shipping. The seller noted that the battery symbol displayed on the top lcd, but the camera would not turn on. When I got it, I put fresh alkalines in it, got it to turn on and noticed the date was not set, so I set it. Looked around the menu, took a picture. Turned it off. Turned it on and got a batt symbol on the top lcd and nothing else. Put some charged NiMh batteries in, it turned on, and I noticed the date was not set again. I took a few pictures and it died.

I discovered that Pentax uses a super cap ( a large capacitor) to maintain the date, instead of a battery. Very cool. A capacitor is like a rechargeable battery that wants to charge up instantaneously, and can deliver a lot of power instantaneously. Super caps are a fairly new technology, and can hold a big charge. My theory: The camera was left in an off state for a long period, and the super cap drained. And now the super cap was charging as fast as it could and eating batteries. So I kept putting charged batteries in. I also think the on board program was too sensitive to transient voltage changes. So as soon as the camera stopped eating batteries, I upgraded to the latest firmware hoping that got fixed.

And now it works well, with little effort on my part.
I know it's not exactly like your problem, but there are similarities. If all the contacts are good on both the camera body and the battery holder, maybe just keep swapping out freshly charged batteries? Try buying a fresh set of lithium batteries?
01-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I got the same problems with my k200D. Didn't use it for a long time and every time i tried to put batteries that i was sure used to work well with the camera, fully charged, it didn't power up. I cleaned the contacts and that gave a little improvement. Still to this time i have at least 4-5 sets of good "Hybrid" NiMh cells that should be good with the camera, yet i manage to get it to work with an acceptable (actually very long) battery life only with two specific sets of Energizer batteries. But after i cleaned contacts the other sets are at least able to get the camera on for a few shots.

Maybe trie a set of fresh lithium batteries, which are costly but last very long.

The camera had always been rather picky about batteries, that was my experience also.

Do not forget also to check your battery charger, sometimes that is the culprit !
01-15-2015, 01:31 AM   #8

Original Poster
Well guy it's ON. After I tried eneloops and new alkaline batteries I thought of another battery problem I had, model cars and the same problem arises after several charges and gives reduced power and duration whilst still showing voltage unless one uses a recycling charger.

I totally drained the eneloops with a TRONIC battery charger which recycles the batteries, this morning I popped them in and the camera fired up straight away. So it's not just a question of VOLTS, it AMPS too.

New alkalines with 1.6v wouldn't fire it up as they lacked the 'punch needed.

The super capacitor is a daft idea, a 2023 battery would have been better for the memory as it doesn't eat batteries..

Last edited by Marbella Pete; 01-20-2015 at 05:03 AM.