Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2015, 01:32 PM   #1

K5 II On Board Flash Troubleshooting

I have a K5 II, and thanks to a buddy of mine, have been trying to get into studio lighting just to get some hands on experience and see what sort of creative ideas strike me.

With that said, the on board flash of my K5 II is so bright, it out flashes his Yongnuo 560 mkIII even when I have done the -2 ev adjustment on the flash. Is there any way to make the flash much dimmer? I need the flash to fire the external flash, but when I use it the entire photo gets washed out.

I am using full manual mode. I have done tons of looking around the internets and this forum to find out what to do and I cannot find anything.

My lens I was using: Auto Sears MC 50mm f/1.7 which I LOVE.

Also, I cannot get to the (flash)W setting in the camera. It is greyed out. Any reason why that is unreachable? I assume that setting might help me tone down the on board flash.

I have also gone into custom menu #21 and changed it to setting 2(off) as I have seen many people recommending but it is still an insanely powerful flash.

--------------------------------

The only fix I found last night, was to put a small black cloth pouch over the flash and fire through that. It allows the Yongnuo to still register the command but doesn't transmit light to the scene I am shooting.

These are the kinds of photos we were taking if that helps you get what I am going for. These were taken on his D7000 since my K5II wasn't playing along.

Thank you all for any help you can provide. I am at a loss as to new keywords to try and I have gone through the manual about 3 times now.
-Isaac

01-14-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi
Why not get some cheap radio triggers as that is what I use
Neil
01-14-2015, 02:55 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Isaac, the problem is your lens.

It's too old, so the flash is always firing at full power.

You should get a hotshoe flash instead of using the popup.

Btw a cheap Yongnuo controller on your K5 will go perfectly with your buddy's flash ... you're already doing everything in manual, too!

Last edited by clackers; 01-14-2015 at 05:11 PM.
01-14-2015, 05:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll add my vote for a manual off camera flash. Get a pair of radio triggers and something like the Nikon SB-26 or that Yongnuo flash. Or even a cheap Pentax AF-200T, which you can get for $15.

01-14-2015, 07:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
Okay, so I am looking at making a purchase shortly:

1x Yongnuo 560 mkIII External Flash
1x Yongnuo 560-TX Flash Controller for Hotshoe

Would this be a good combo for the K5II for some playing around with studio lighting and creative flash?

Also, I know this is a bit off topic, but I would like to purchase all at once. Any issues with third party battery grips? Just trying to save some cash.
01-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I agree with radio triggers. You can use this for your onboard flash A N1 IR Panel for on Camera Pop Up Flash for Nikon Canon Pentax Olympus DSLR | eBay
01-14-2015, 09:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacT Quote
Any issues with third party battery grips? Just trying to save some cash.
With the current price of k-5 grips why not buy a used Pentax one? I've got one for sale PM me if you want to discuss.
01-14-2015, 10:15 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacT Quote

1x Yongnuo 560 mkIII External Flash
1x Yongnuo 560-TX Flash Controller for Hotshoe

Would this be a good combo for the K5II for some playing around with studio lighting and creative flash?
They will be excellent, Isaac. They'll work with your future lighting setups including strobes. And if you ever leave Pentax for Canikon, they'll work there, too.