Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2015, 04:19 AM   #16
Tas
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use the free trial offers

I have paid to use Lightroom and Photoshop. I start in Lightroom for cataloguing and initial processing, go through another program and finish in Photoshop CS6. In the last couple of years I find I use Lightroom less and less for processing. Instead I use onOne Software Perfect Photo Suite 9 and Photoshop.

Perfect Photo Suite 9 has cataloguing, works with RAW, has masks and layers, B&W as well as Perfect Resize for printing large. For me it is becoming a viable alternative to the Adobe options as a one stop solution. Try it on trial to see for yourself.

Most if not all the software options can be tested as trial software and it's smart to test the water; so to speak. The other recommendations in this thread have thrown up a number to try, so why not?

Amongst the freeware options the Gimp stands out as a powerful alternative to Photoshop, even if it's not as polished in its implementation. There's how to videos for using it too, so new users can get up and running pretty quick. Interestingly the way it works is a good way of learning the capabilities and implementation within Photoshop.

So my advice is to give yourself time to trial a few options. If there's no rush some patience may find the right tool(s) for your needs.

Best of luck with whatever you go with.

Hooroo for now,

Tas

01-15-2015, 04:21 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
If it's dead, why mention it? LOL
Read my initial post. I was using it to place LR's file handling in context. Aperture is the only direct comparator to LR as far as file handling is concerned. And then I was asked directly by jatrax to expand on the difference, which I did. At no stage did I recommend Aperture. In fact, I was supporting the previous posters who suggested LR.

---------- Post added 15-01-15 at 10:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I have paid to use Lightroom and Photoshop. I start in Lightroom for cataloguing and initial processing, go through another program and finish in Photoshop CS6. In the last couple of years I find I use Lightroom less and less for processing. Instead I use onOne Software Perfect Photo Suite 9 and Photoshop.

Perfect Photo Suite 9 has cataloguing, works with RAW, has masks and layers, B&W as well as Perfect Resize for printing large. For me it is becoming a viable alternative to the Adobe options as a one stop solution. Try it on trial to see for yourself.

Tas
I am intrigued by your suggestion Tas. I tried onOne Perfect Photo Suite on trial recently, and found it very good for processing (with a few gaps, and maybe not as good as the more expensive Topaz suite), but not much chop at file management/cataloguing. I was unsure if you were using it for that, or only for processing after importing using LR. I'd like to know if I missed something and it's a more viable all-purpose suite than I had judged.
01-15-2015, 07:23 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
If it's dead, why mention it? LOL
Aperture is discontinued. Not quite dead. It works very well still, in fact. What's more important is that the library structure will be supported in the future by Apple Photos. The big mystery is what will Apple Photos be like? Nobody but Apple knows that. It could be a repackaged version of Aperture that will give everything a run for its money or it could be a total bust. Who knows? Apple has a history of destroying premium markets and turning them into cheap commodities while creating a new premium market that "traps" users. They may do something like this for Apple Photos. How? Again, who knows?
01-15-2015, 07:34 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
One feature that I'm not sure everyone knows about is that you can actually work with a single Referenced file system from both Aperture and LR.
Interesting, and a strong recommendation to keep an organized file structure regardless of the software you currently use. Things change and having images organized as files rather than trusting any particular program is always a good thing.

Re managed or referenced, do you mean Aperture keeps copies of managed files internally? In it's database or something? I assume referenced is the same as LR where all that is in the catalog is a pointer to the file location?

And yes what you get used to always seems 'better' I find that people who use photoshop often detest Lightroom, because the whole concept is completely different. I am trying to learn PS and find it weird because I started with LR.

Thanks for the info!

01-15-2015, 07:35 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll toss my opinion in here. Overall, I am not a big fan of Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom or Elements. Having said that, I use lightroom and just upgrading to Lightroom 5 - Why? YouTube Video support. Let's say you have a landscape (or portrait or dog) image you want to "make better". Google lightroom landscape - and you instantly have 500 videos to select from. Just choose one and it will get you started in terms of a step by step what to do and why. The videos are free - and they are from Adobe and quite a few other folks that do this - professional photographers, etc.

01-15-2015, 07:44 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I'll toss my opinion in here. Overall, I am not a big fan of Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom or Elements. Having said that, I use lightroom and just upgrading to Lightroom 5 - Why? YouTube Video support. Let's say you have a landscape (or portrait or dog) image you want to "make better". Google lightroom landscape - and you instantly have 500 videos to select from. Just choose one and it will get you started in terms of a step by step what to do and why. The videos are free - and they are from Adobe and quite a few other folks that do this - professional photographers, etc.

A very good point, the community support is simply incredible. Plus the availability of many presets both for free and purchase.

Sometimes I think the only problem with Lightroom is that it comes from Adobe
01-15-2015, 08:30 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote

Agreed on the Adobe community. After making the trip back to the "Genius Bar" four times for iMac complete shutdowns while using LR 4.4, one post on the Adobe blog had said power source/or cable.
The fifth trip bellying up to the bar with a suggestion of power source via Adobe ……….Voila! it works.
01-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

I really like Lightroom. I've used some others but Lightroom seems much more intuitive and is very powerful.

01-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #24
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
LightZone

I'll throw my 2 cents in, but if you've already purchased Lightroom, then keep it. Otherwise, there is an interesting open source (free, no trial, no ad bloatware) called "LightZone."

I started using it and playing with it over the holidays and was very impressed. I'll have to try Lightroom as it came on a new PC I just purchased, but LightZone is based on the older Ansel Adams preferred 9 zone-of-lightness way of thinking. I thought that it was easy to use, and terrific at isolating areas of a picture based on their luminosity (or brightness). It was a snap to control contrast, saturation etc.

The other item that I would also mention is that I would actually make sure you have what it is that you intend to do with a picture in mind before you select a program. To me it sounds like LightRoom/Photoshop would represent different ends of the spectrum of image manipulation. LightRoom/LightZone are really quick ways to retouch a photo. Control contrast, color temperatures, adjust white balance etc. To me they are a sort of equivalent of using an enlarger in the days of analog where adjustments were made on the negative at the time the image is being transferred to the paper to make adjustments (generally) as a whole to the image.

Photoshop/Gimp (generally considered the open source equivalent of Photoshop) allows far more and aggressive changes to the image and can completely remove sections, alter shapes, merge images etc which is why they generally will take more time to learn and master. But I think their purpose for that is different. They're great for really applying textures, text overlays, special image borders etc.

As for just using something for organizing photos and photos into albums, I think that would be a third and distinct category of software.

Another interesting category would be programs that either are specialized or have special features to merge the same image taken at different exposures into "HDR" photography. I know the K3 has that feature built in, but if shot in raw formats, then the formats actually contain all the images in the same file that then are merged post processing (in camera jpg formats are "merged" images I believe).

I think getting into "post processing" in this regard really opens up the "other half" of the science and art of photography. And remember, over time, that is why a lot of those that are more serious start shooting in raw formats because the formats have more information in them to serve as the basis for all of those adjustment that the post processing software will use.

One more bit of advice I'd suggest. In many cases, if you're not really technically savvy on a computer, most programs can do what you're interested in doing fairly easily without getting into layers and layers of menus and options. But, I would always suggest that you start to learn something and then stick with it and you won't have to relearn a new interface from another program. Even if you stick with the same vendor, their products tend to have a consistent look and feel across all of their offerings making exploration of other features or products with their product lines easier to learn.

For some other alternatives see: http://www.jeffcolburn.com/article-10-Alternatives-To-Adobe-Photoshop-Lightr...ive-Cloud.html

Last edited by kjg48359; 01-15-2015 at 11:28 AM.
01-15-2015, 12:07 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kjg48359 Quote
As for just using something for organizing photos and photos into albums, I think that would be a third and distinct category of software.
I think you misunderstand Lightroom. It's primary function is organizing and retrieving images. It also has a very good RAW processor but it is fundamentally designed around a database concept. The newer versions (4 & 5) have enough tools to eliminate the need for Photoshop in maybe 95% of my work. Actually unless you need layers you can do 100% in Lightroom. Photoshop is a graphics design centric program, Lightroom is an image catalog centric program. And now with the excellent export and publish options it has become a complete workflow tool. Capture image>import to lightroom>develop>keyword and title>publish to Flickr, Facebook or whatever other option you want. And maintain those online galleries as part of your Lightroom catalog, so adds & deletes can be mirrored online.
01-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I use Capture One. I happen to think it's the best (and it produces the best results from RAW files), but Lightroom and DxO have been satisfactory for many users as well. You'll hear more about Lightroom because it's more popular. But as a Pentax shooter, you clearly don't fall for what's simply popular, but rather what's better for your needs. You can download a free trial, and there are tutorials to get you well started both on the Phase One website and on Youtube.

The thing I initially liked most about Capture One is their camera profiles make the photos look correct immediately, even before you start editing them. And you have the option to catalog your photos or start editing right away. But I stayed because of the great results, and features like the printing module, which I happen to be really fond of. Adobe has rather weak camera profiles. DxO I'm not sure, but I didn't like it enough overall - back when I was first evaluating them a few years ago.

So while you should compare, I also think it's important to pick one (after your evaluation) and get going. The experience you gain with one will largely translate to the others, should you decide to switch later. Keep in mind that Phase One is really the premier camera manufacturer in the world, so they have some idea what they're doing.
01-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #27
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
DxO I'm not sure, but I didn't like it enough overall - back when I was first evaluating them a few years ago.
DxO has improved greatly from v.8 to v.9 to v.10. The layout is better, and in particular the addition of PRIME noise reduction in v.9 was a revelation. I find it very easy to use, with key functions automated but lots of tweaking available if you want. That's just my experience. But I would say give it a miss as your main program if the camera + lens combinations you use most are not supported.

I agree that it is worth taking time to try a few programs, pick the one that suits you most and stick to it.
01-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
DxO has improved greatly from v.8 to v.9 to v.10. The layout is better, and in particular the addition of PRIME noise reduction in v.9 was a revelation. I find it very easy to use, with key functions automated but lots of tweaking available if you want. That's just my experience. But I would say give it a miss as your main program if the camera + lens combinations you use most are not supported.

I agree that it is worth taking time to try a few programs, pick the one that suits you most and stick to it.
Exactly. Good to hear. I knew I couldn't give DxO a fair shake because I haven't tried it in a while, just as many here couldn't give Capture One a fair shake. All three have significantly improved over the last few years. Lightroom was pretty stinky before version 4 (the part that bothers me is people raved about it back then too!). Now it's pretty good. Each application definitely has its pros and cons.

Last edited by DSims; 01-15-2015 at 02:12 PM.
01-16-2015, 06:55 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think you misunderstand Lightroom. It's primary function is organizing and retrieving images. It also has a very good RAW processor but it is fundamentally designed around a database concept.
This is the area of Lightroom I really should start using. I typically arrange my photos in folders then process in lightroom. I know the tools exist, but don't use them in Lightroom. Perhaps this should be my resolution this year, to begin tagging etc.
01-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I use Lightroom most of the time, and occasionally delve into Photoshop to push things further. But if all you need is develop raw files, and organize them, and tweak them with some local adjustments, Lightroom is great. That or perhaps RawTherapee (free).

Photoshop really only gets used to do image manipulation. Say I take a panorama but haven't covered enough and need to recreate some parts of the image... or when objects or people need to manipulated, pushed into shape, removed, when I want to remove lens flares (and the tool integrated in Lightroom isn't enough because the lens flare is over details).

Before Photoshop I used JASC Paint Shop Pro, and it was great. Easy to use, affordable, relatively powerful. I ended up wanting/needing more though, and from PSP to PS it's not a too big step.

Using Photoshop, or PSP, to process raw files is IMHO a very bad idea. It can be done, but it's a lot more work, and you can't go back and change something. You have to start from scratch. With Lightroom you can always modify your settings. Not to mention that it is much faster and you can sync settings across many photos (say to fix the white balance).