Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2015, 02:55 AM   #1

single frame and burst modes

Sorry if the answer is obvious or allready answered, couldnt find so far, my question would be... if i set up my camera on burst (lets say high burst) instead of single frame just in case i need it: is there any downside not using single frame shot for normal shot?

01-15-2015, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zitounae Quote
Sorry if the answer is obvious or allready answered, couldnt find so far, my question would be... if i set up my camera on burst (lets say high burst) instead of single frame just in case i need it: is there any downside not using single frame shot for normal shot?
None other than the fact that it's really easy to accidentally shoot multiple photos, which can get annoying.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-15-2015, 05:03 AM   #3

Original Poster
sweet, good to be sure about that. I never had any issue taking single shot in bursdt.... and usually wouldnt mind extra shots anyway Thanks for your kind and fast answer Adam!
01-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have it in burst mode and let someone else take a picture of you it can scare them! We had that once, the guy pressed the shutter and snapped 5 images before he knew what was going on. Good thing, too, because image 3 was the keeper. It did scare him, though. I just told him I was sorry I forgot to warn him it was on continuous mode. "Wow, that's really fast" was his reply.

01-15-2015, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
If you have it in burst mode and let someone else take a picture of you it can scare them! We had that once, the guy pressed the shutter and snapped 5 images before he knew what was going on. Good thing, too, because image 3 was the keeper. It did scare him, though. I just told him I was sorry I forgot to warn him it was on continuous mode. "Wow, that's really fast" was his reply.
And there is the issue. Especailly for wildlife but even for family photos etc. I always use burst. I take 10 keep 1. 90% of the time, you have a better image than the guy next to you that just takes one. With wildlife where the animals are not posing and moving unpredictably, it's even more critical. If I have a animal in my selective focus point, I fill the buffer before I take my finger of the shutter release. You may end up throwing out 22 images, but the one you keep will often be a "keeper".
01-15-2015, 12:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
If you have it in burst mode and let someone else take a picture of you it can scare them!
I handed my K5 setup on burst mode to an individual to take a group photo I was insisted to be in, she took over two dozen shots...didn't scare her though

Last edited by K57XR; 01-15-2015 at 12:23 PM. Reason: added clarification
01-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #7

I was with a group (pack?) of press photographers as The Queen went by. Suffice it to say that no-one was taking single shots!
01-16-2015, 05:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And there is the issue. Especailly for wildlife but even for family photos etc. I always use burst. I take 10 keep 1. 90% of the time, you have a better image than the guy next to you that just takes one. With wildlife where the animals are not posing and moving unpredictably, it's even more critical. If I have a animal in my selective focus point, I fill the buffer before I take my finger of the shutter release. You may end up throwing out 22 images, but the one you keep will often be a "keeper".
That's how I do it. Also, if you're shooting a longer focal length handheld, it helps to minimize motion blur from yourself. The first pic will be you pressing the shutter (minute camera movement from doing so), the next shots will already be with the button pressed down, so you can remain as steady as possible, and the final shot will be as you're about to release the button (minute camera movement from doing so). So, first and last could show motion blur, where-as everything in the middle would be the ones to choose from.

01-16-2015, 06:10 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
That's how I do it. Also, if you're shooting a longer focal length handheld, it helps to minimize motion blur from yourself. The first pic will be you pressing the shutter (minute camera movement from doing so), the next shots will already be with the button pressed down, so you can remain as steady as possible, and the final shot will be as you're about to release the button (minute camera movement from doing so). So, first and last could show motion blur, where-as everything in the middle would be the ones to choose from.
I'd agree with your accept so many times the first or last has been the good one. At one time in my life I trained myself to steady the camera for a shot. But I never trained myself to hold still in burst mode, and doubt that I could have.I'm one of those guys, if I hold out my hand and try and steady it, it will be visibly shaking. Burst mode is still better though. I might not get as many clear images as someone with a steadier hand, but I still get much better than I would shooting single.
01-20-2015, 07:07 PM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Shake reduction on or off in burst mode?

I have noticed on both my K-50 and K-5iis that, if I use burst mode, the photos are blurry if I leave shake reduction on. This is even with relatively high shutter speeds (1/250). So I always turn-off shake reduction before putting my camera in continuous shooting, hi or lo. I think the shake reduction algorithm is getting "confused" by the mirror slap. Just my two cents...