Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2015, 05:40 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Metz 58AF-1 HSS with K3

I have been trying to implement HSS with my Metz 58AF-1 on my K3. I obviously need a firmware upgrade on the Metz as it point blank refuses to implement HSS - this mode on this flash worKs OK on my K5. The latest firmware update from Metz indicates that HSS will work on K30 and K5ii - anyone had any joy with this flash on a K3? HSS is not something I use every day but would be useful occasionally, I am having to "downgrade" to my K5 for this afternoon's shoot!

Last edited by StephenHampshire; 01-15-2015 at 05:48 AM.
01-15-2015, 09:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
I have been trying to implement HSS with my Metz 58AF-1 on my K3. I obviously need a firmware upgrade on the Metz as it point blank refuses to implement HSS - this mode on this flash worKs OK on my K5. The latest firmware update from Metz indicates that HSS will work on K30 and K5ii - anyone had any joy with this flash on a K3? HSS is not something I use every day but would be useful occasionally, I am having to "downgrade" to my K5 for this afternoon's shoot!
I updated the firmware, and I believe it worked, but I don't fully recall. All I know is that the flash kept working for other features, and nothing went wrong (i.e. it is worth trying). For instance, I don't think the wireless mode was working too well without the firmware update, but it did work once I made the update. I believe I saw somewhere that the HSS works, but now I'll have to check myself later to see if it really does.
01-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I updated the firmware, and I believe it worked, but I don't fully recall. All I know is that the flash kept working for other features, and nothing went wrong (i.e. it is worth trying). For instance, I don't think the wireless mode was working too well without the firmware update, but it did work once I made the update. I believe I saw somewhere that the HSS works, but now I'll have to check myself later to see if it really does.
Thank you, I didn't have time to update before I went out this PM but in the end I didn't use HSS at all

Last edited by StephenHampshire; 01-15-2015 at 12:13 PM.
01-15-2015, 09:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
Thank yu, I didn't ave time to update before I went out this PM but in the end I didn't use HSS at all
I think this is what happened to me, which is probably why I don't remember. I thought I was going to need HSS and installed the update. I may have quickly checked whether I could adjust the shutter speed and/or the settings on the flash, but I never actually used it. I thought I had read here or possibly on another forum somewhere (via a Google search) that it does work. I think I was more shocked that I would have to update the firmware to keep it working. It makes me a bit worried for a future in which the flash firmware is not updated.

01-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I didn't test before upgrading the firmware on my 58 AF-1, but HSS works fine with the latest firmware on the K-3.

But yeah, I don't like it if they change their implementation of HSS from body to body.
01-18-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I didn't test before upgrading the firmware on my 58 AF-1, but HSS works fine with the latest firmware on the K-3.

But yeah, I don't like it if they change their implementation of HSS from body to body.
Thanks, now uploaded the latest firmware and yes, HSS works fine with my K3 now!