Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Full manual control with M lens

I have a K-50 and just purchased a Pentax 100mm F4 Macro M lens.
I don't know how to set up the camera for full manual control: exposure, shutter and ISO.
I set it up according to the user manual for M lenses with the aperture ring enabled, E-dial programmed to Tv SHIFT.
Shutter speed changes when the camera is in different light.
I need to have full control of the settings as I am stitching together digital captures of artwork. I can't have subtle shifts of exposure as it shows up in the stitched image.
As a clue, no matter what I set on the Mode it always is on Av. Even the M mode shows up as Av on the LCD. So I am guessing i have a wrong setting somewhere. Maybe E-dial should not be set to "Tv SHIFT"?
Any thoughts?
Terry

01-16-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tsurfing Quote
Maybe E-dial should not be set to "Tv SHIFT"?
The green button should be set to Tv shift, not the e-dial. Also, you are probably still in auto ISO, when that's enabled M mode shows up as TAv.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-16-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a K-50 and just purchased a Pentax 100mm F4 Macro M lens.
I don't know how to set up the camera for full manual control: exposure, shutter and ISO.
I set it up according to the user manual for M lenses with the aperture ring enabled, E-dial programmed to Tv SHIFT.
Shutter speed changes when the camera is in different light.
I need to have full control of the settings as I am stitching together digital captures of artwork. I can't have subtle shifts of exposure as it shows up in the stitched image.
As a clue, no matter what I set on the Mode it always is on Av. Even the M mode shows up as Av on the LCD. So I am guessing i have a wrong setting somewhere. Maybe E-dial should not be set to "Tv SHIFT"?
Any thoughts?
Terry
Turn off AutoISO. The camera will work in TAv unless you set the ISO to manual. This is because the K50 inherited its firmware from the K-01 which used AutoISO in manual mode as a pseudo TAv. Other Pentax cameras automatically turn off AutoISO when the camera is set to M mode.
01-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I had it set at ISO 100 before I first posted.

I am trying to set everything up to have the same exposure over multiple images.

01-16-2015, 02:43 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I am trying to set everything up to have the same exposure over multiple images.
If you've set the ISO manually and are in M mode, you'll always get the same exposure unless you change the shutter speed yourself or press the green button. If you don't, there could be something wrong with your camera's shutter, or the aperture diaphragm in your lens (more likely).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-16-2015, 03:08 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Problem is that when i set the Dial on top to M, It says Av on the LCD. I can't lock the shutter speed. the speed varies in different light. Somehow it is set to adjust automatically for that. Need that ability to freeze all the settings with this lens in this application.
01-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #7
Ole
Administrator

The only explanation is that ISO is set to Auto ISO. You need to confirm that ISO is on manual. I don't know about the K-50, but on a K-3 the display in the viewfinder will say "ISO auto" to the left of the ISO number unless it is in manual ISO mode. You should double check your ISO setting.

01-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I will double check tonite
01-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The only explanation is that ISO is set to Auto ISO.
That was it...
The ISO was not changing in different light in M mode so I thought it was on manual.
I pressed the ISO button saw that the variable ISO was selected, changed it to the manual ISO at 100. I set up the camera to capture the art, set the aperture on the lens to f11, pushed the green button to meter the light which set the speed of the shutter to 0.8 seconds. I used that through the series of images overlapping to make sure the stitching will work. All the images came out perfect so thanks for the time to walk me thru it