Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-17-2015, 04:40 AM   #1

K-3 'multicolor' metering?

How do you feel with K-3 'multicolor' 'multizone' metering of ambient light for slow sync (trailing curtain sync) with flash light? Camera manual is not detailed about this (nor about many other improved funcions). I do not use LV if that matters for the above. Most of the shots I do now are indoors (thanks to our toddler) with bounced flash and mixed ambient light (tungsten halogen lights, energy saving fluorescent bulbs, energy saving LED spotligts, skylight coming through balcony doors and windows). The rumours about that specific new K-3 advantage pushed me around Christmas time to go for K-3 ($695 Camera Spot PA - $599 Quick&Done, CND) and puting K10d and K-5 IIs ($495 Adorama) on auction site.
Shooting above with SMA DA* 2.8/16-50mm after some trials with Sigma EF-610 DG Super and AF540FGZ I mostly used TAv mode (K10d, K-5 IIs) with f=4.0-5.6 (for DOF and MTF) and 1/50 - 1/90 s (for the toddler), so the camera seeks for the ISO (actually, high ISO of K-5 IIs was not so good for skin details, so I have to rethink indoors ambient light portraits shootings with K-3).
Any piece of advice?

Last edited by Prakticant; 01-17-2015 at 04:47 AM.
01-17-2015, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a note on auto-iso in combination with flash.

Stay away from auto-iso when using flash. The problem is that the camera will tend to expose for ambient cranking up the ISO to achieve that. ISO affects the maximum flash distance; great, more reach at ISO 3200. What people however often forget or don't know is that there is also a minimum flash distance (in auto-thyristor and pTTL mode) of about 10% of the maximum; so overexposure due to flash is a real risk at shorter distances.

Use M-mode instead of TAv when using flash.