Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2015, 11:26 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Use of Pentax Series M Lens with K-5IIs & K-3 in manual mode

Hello:

I am thinking about purchasing a K-5IIS or K-3 to use with my Pentax K mount f1.7 and 2.8 lenses in the manual mode on either camera.

I the past I have owned Pentax, Canon and Nikon manual film cameras, where the method of shooting manually has been straight forward ..... set the aperture/shutter speed, look through the viewfinder to see the exposure compensation scale and, depending on the scene, adjust as needed and take the picture.

What I need to know about the use of the K-5IIs and K-3 are the instructions of how to use both cameras in the manual mode using the lenses that I have described and in the correct order. I want to make sure that the exposure scale is visible in the viewfinder of both cameras in case any changes in aperture/shutter have to be made.

Thank you.

01-17-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html
01-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can only talk for K5, not the successors.

There is NO exposure scale when using M mode in combination with M lenses. The above given link describes how you meter. However, when you recompose, the camera will not tell you if your exposure settings are still correct. But you can meter (again) once you have composed your image.
01-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
There is NO exposure scale when using M mode in combination with M lenses.
With Use Aperture Ring Enabled and DOF Preview set to Optical operating the DOF preview should stop down the lens and turn on the exposure bars and you can set the EV with the shutter speed eDial or turning the aperture ring.

This function appears AFIAK on all the flagship models.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/53-pentax-dslr-camera-articles/100260-man...ic-lenses.html

01-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
With Use Aperture Ring Enabled and DOF Preview set to Optical operating the DOF preview should stop down the lens and turn on the exposure bars and you can set the EV with the shutter speed eDial or turning the aperture ring.
You're right I never use optical preview for metering, always the green button; learned something again, thanks.

Last edited by sterretje; 01-17-2015 at 01:58 PM.