Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Stiff focus ring on M 300/4

The focus ring on my otherwise clean copy of the M 300/4 is bit too stiff for my liking. It feels like it has not been used in years and the lubricant stiffened up with age. So I have a couple of questions:

(1) is this lens typically stiff to focus?
(2) Is it likely to improve with use or should I look into a CLA?
((3) any idea how difficult it would be to re-lube it by someone with almost zero experience disassembling lenses?

Thanks a bunch in advance for suggestions.

Andy

01-19-2015, 12:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My experience is with the M*300. It was super smooth and exact to focus. Is yours the one with the green star? Perhaps the non-star M300/4 is different in operation but I think the main difference between it and the star model was in the optics.
01-19-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're lucky, it will improve on its own with use. I had an A-series 35-105mm with an incredibly stiff zoom ring, but after using for a few days, it went back to feeling like new.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you're lucky, it will improve on its own with use.
I will take this answer and cross my fingers . The lens is the green star version. I am still in shock how well proportioned it is, wow.

01-19-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
get a similar effect also by blowing on the outside of the focus ring with a hairdryer
Thanks dcshooter, this sounds like something I can try, appreciate the tip.
03-07-2015, 11:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update: I sent the *300/4 to a well-known Pentax repair person for a re-lube, the lens just arrived back. The focus is smoother now, but still 2-3 times more stiff than any of my M lenses. I am rather confused by this. Wouldn't a complete re-lube make the focus buttery smooth and not-stiff. When I say "stiff", I mean it is impossible to quickly turn the focus ring with one hand while the lens is mounted and the camera is at eye level, something that I've come to expect from all my lenses, no matter how old. This really bums me out