Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2015, 04:50 AM   #1

How to check [secondhand] lenses?

I got secondhand SMA DA* (16-50mm/2.8, 50-135mm/2.8) and SMA DA (12-24mm/4.0, 18-55mm) lenses for my new K-3.
I'd like to check if they are on par with the quality level (sharpness, focus) expected from Pentax.
How do you make your trial shots?
Tripod, rock solid ballhead, OK
But then?
Shutter, aperture, ISO speed, ambient light, flash, mode, focusing (viewfinder vs. LV) subject?
My experience comes from manual (35mm film) SLRs with quality primes, I need to learn more DSLR differences.
When I put my shots on the 1600x1200 LCD in original size view (pixel to pixel) I find nothing better than my pocket-size Coolpix

If I find back/front focus, is that much better to mail your camera + lenses kit to the service centre, or K-3 menu might be enough for focus corrections?

Last edited by Prakticant; 02-15-2015 at 11:10 AM.
01-21-2015, 05:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a complaint of many coming from a P&S, mostly due to the P&S having very good depth of field, at a lost every aperture. You won't really see the DSLR difference until you start enlarging your shots, or viewing them on a monitor.

As for checking exposure, the only way is to shoot at every aperture a uniformly lit surface. Then using your photo editor, check the grey scale value in the histogram. If it permits, you can also check for vignetting, providing the photo editor allows you to do a histogram on a selection. Compare the middle to the corner, and you will see some differences.