Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K to Pentax M42 Genuine Adapter QUESTION!!

Previous to using the original genuine Pentax k/M42 Adapter, I had a good share of problems. After I obtained about 10 genuine brand new adapters from Pentax, I have had no problem, until now.

When I install the adapter into the camera, if fits snuggly. However, I notice a little wiggling back and forward. This is not a problem with my Takumars or similars. However, with a Helios 85/2, and with the Asahi-Kogaku Takumars 83/1,9, 58/2.4 and 135/3.5, with a very small mount that does not extend beyond the adapter sufrace itself, this wiggling created a problem for me when focussing. The other lenses' mount cover the adapter surface and get into the actual camera mount edge, where it gets secured, eliminating the wiggling. Is thie everyone's experience? Does your genuine k/m42 adpater wiggles when you install it without the lens? I appreciate your help. Ihave tried every single brand new genuine adapter, and it is the same thing.

01-22-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mine wiggles with all my lenses. I have two Helios 44s, a Tak 200mm, and a Super Tak 50mm 1.4. It doesn't cause me any problems.
01-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I just tried the adapters I have (both of them original Pentax K/M42 - one with the spring removed) on my K-5II - and I can feel a slight movement back and forth - but it is more a feeling than a real wiggling. I tried the adapter with my Helios 44-M6 - and no wiggling at all. The same with my K-01. The other M42 lenses I have - extend beyond the adapter and they "sit" on the K mount itself - so they are irelevant...
01-22-2015, 04:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

This is a known problem with this adapter and "narrow" mount lenses. You may also get light leaks through the slots on the adapter. Since I don't have any lenses with this "problem" I haven't paid attention to solutions or workarounds. You might try going through the Russian Lens Club section.

01-22-2015, 04:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
Previous to using the original genuine Pentax k/M42 Adapter, I had a good share of problems. After I obtained about 10 genuine brand new adapters from Pentax, I have had no problem, until now.

When I install the adapter into the camera, if fits snuggly. However, I notice a little wiggling back and forward. This is not a problem with my Takumars or similars. However, with a Helios 85/2, and with the Asahi-Kogaku Takumars 83/1,9, 58/2.4 and 135/3.5, with a very small mount that does not extend beyond the adapter sufrace itself, this wiggling created a problem for me when focussing. The other lenses' mount cover the adapter surface and get into the actual camera mount edge, where it gets secured, eliminating the wiggling. Is thie everyone's experience? Does your genuine k/m42 adpater wiggles when you install it without the lens? I appreciate your help. Ihave tried every single brand new genuine adapter, and it is the same thing.
Yes, the M42-K adapter is supposed to fit loose in the body to allow the lens to fully seat against the K body flange. The small mount lenses from the original Pentax years that don't reach the K flange will be loose - and the worst are the Asahiflex lenses needing M37-M42 and then the K adapter. I only use them on M42 film bodies. For digital they work well on a Sony A7 with a direct M42 to E mount adapter:
Name:  SonAsahiFlex.jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  241.9 KB
And here's a grab shot using the Asahiflex 58mm f2.4 lens on the Sony - no processing except re-size.
Name:  FromSonyAsahi58-2.4.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  292.3 KB

Last edited by TomB_tx; 01-22-2015 at 05:13 PM.
01-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I haven't paid attention to solutions or workarounds.
I believe the workaround is to make a thin gasket using a rubber band or some such to steady the lens and snug the adapter up on its bayonet tabs.

Steve
01-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I wonder if using one of thos non-genuine adapters with a flange would help, even if losing infinite. Usually no infinite shooting with this lens.
01-22-2015, 07:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I wonder if using one of thos non-genuine adapters with a flange would help, even if losing infinite. Usually no infinite shooting with this lens.
Yes, that would likely work.

Steve

01-22-2015, 09:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian

10 genuine adapters? Geez, that must have cost you. The genuine ones are supposed to be loose like that. If you buy a third party one (an infinity capable one), it will be much more snug and you should immediately remove the spring on it. Those should be used to stay on the lens itself rather than on the camera like the Pentax ones.

But using one with a flange is one solution to the narrow base problem, and you will get the most secure mount that way as long as you don't mind losing the far distances. Some narrow lenses will be just fine only using a third-party adapter with the spring removed and nothing else -- they have just enough base that the snug adapter works ok with a friction fit and don't have light leaks. Your Helios probably falls into that category, along with many Zeiss Jena lenses. However, some, like the Meyer-Optik (or Pentacon) 135 or 200, have a tapering base that is really narrow at the bottom and it just doesn't work. For those I use a big rubber washer around the base of the mount tilted sideways (the tapering keeps it in place with pressure towards the mount and then a third-party adapter screwed on the bottom. This effectively expands the base and makes a lot of friction when mounting, and blocks light leaks.

My Meyer & Pentacon with washers:

Last edited by vonBaloney; 01-22-2015 at 09:32 PM.
01-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have just had a similar problem and found my solution on an old thread on PF. A new-to-me Meyer Optik lens with a M42 mount had a little lateral movement when mounted on my K5 using an original Pentax M42-PK adapter. A cheap eBay flange-type M42-PK adapter arrived yesterday and worked perfectly in eliminating any movement of the lens. It now fits nice and snug without any play. I realize this type of "flanged" adapter may prevent me from focusing to infinity, but that is not a concern considering my use of this lens.
01-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a similar problem with my Mir 3B lens. It has a very small mounting surface and it wobbles a lot with the OEM adapter. I would love to know which adapter works perfectly with these kinds of lenses without having to sand it down for infinity focus.
01-23-2015, 02:03 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I have a similar problem with my Mir 3B lens. It has a very small mounting surface and it wobbles a lot with the OEM adapter. I would love to know which adapter works perfectly with these kinds of lenses without having to sand it down for infinity focus.
I picked up a third party adapter at B&H with an internal flange built into the adapter to depress the pin for "Auto" lenses that lack the manual auto switch.

while it suffers all the typical faults of this type of adapter, (spring clip sitks up and scratches into the lens, screw hilding the clip too long, etc.....) it fits tight in the camera. I reworked the spring,.filing it down so it does not score into lenses any more, and put a shorter screw in to hold the clip then properly removed all burrs, and machining swarth, and it is now fine. fits very snugly, and requires the tool to remove.

the real issue with 3rd party mounts is that unless you are prepared, and equipped to sort out the issues as i have, you are in a big risk of getting the lens stuck on the camera or the threads on the lens damaged. it really is a use with caution component
01-23-2015, 02:36 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
... you are in a big risk of getting the lens stuck on the camera or the threads on the lens damaged. it really is a use with caution component
Been there! That is why I dumped all my third-party adapters. I just oredered on for $2 wth a flange and no springs. Just the mount, flange and screw opening to receive the lens. The flange is thick, so I may compromise a bit more than infinite. However, I use those lenses for portrait or closer things, almost never for infinite shots.
01-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Been there! That is why I dumped all my third-party adapters. I just oredered on for $2 wth a flange and no springs. Just the mount, flange and screw opening to receive the lens. The flange is thick, so I may compromise a bit more than infinite. However, I use those lenses for portrait or closer things, almost never for infinite shots.
For then.5 mm thickness, it may be possible to readjust the Infinity stop in the lens. I considered this once, but then simply put an adaptor perinantly into my K10 because the lens release pin failed