Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2015, 05:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do I need to repair this

Got this lens in a trade, obviously mount is damaged. Not sure if I can return it

Last edited by ZeljkoS; 09-04-2015 at 08:21 AM.
01-23-2015, 05:32 AM   #2

It looks like the camera mount is still on there. If it's really stuck, cutting of the flanges from the mount seems the best way to me.
01-23-2015, 05:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

EDITED: See slowhands95128's response below

Last edited by Docrwm; 01-23-2015 at 07:46 AM.
01-23-2015, 06:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gwboes Quote
It looks like the camera mount is still on there. If it's really stuck, cutting of the flanges from the mount seems the best way to me.
Big channellocks or a vise.

01-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I didn't even figure out that this is a whole camera mount on there... I had the impression there is something missing, but in fact it has extra parts

I'll try to get the mount off somehow... contacts are there as I can see and AF screw is inside, so it might still work if I remove the mount without damaging it
01-23-2015, 07:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
Arrow one points to a part that appears to be part of the aperture controls. Arrow two points to the mount ring, with screws stuck in upside down. That looks familiar, because I do that when storing a lens that is awaiting internal parts.
I'd be willing to bet all the contacts and AF drive pin are missing. Probably some internal springs and parts too.
This could get pretty expensive to fix.
I'm a bit confused now... at first I thought something is missing, because these screws are sticking out. It looked like there is a plate missing.

Then I looked in the electrical contact holes and AF screw. I saw the contacts but I was at a loss on how can camera connect to them if they are so deep inside.

When someone mentioned that there is a camera mount stuck on the lens, then it made sense. Now, when I read your post, you say that some parts are probably missing.
01-23-2015, 07:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, I have all the info I need. Thanks everyone!

01-23-2015, 07:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
Arrow one points to a part that appears to be part of the aperture controls. Arrow two points to the mount ring, with screws stuck in upside down. That looks familiar, because I do that when storing a lens that is awaiting internal parts.
I'd be willing to bet all the contacts and AF drive pin are missing. Probably some internal springs and parts too.
This could get pretty expensive to fix.
On a 18-55 its probably more costly to get parts than to buy a nice used lens. Of course you could combine a lens with front end problems with this one to achieve 1 serviceable lens and save money thst way potentially.
01-23-2015, 07:07 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Duh! I totally missed the mount was from the camera body. I never dreamed someone would ship it like that. I hate to think what happened to the poor camera!

Get the the thin dark piece out of the way first. Pair of pliers maybe. The the ring should come off easy while the lens is held with the mount facing down.
01-23-2015, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
This has the full lens mount on it, from a camera front. Somebody's camera is ripped apart, not your problem. It was done cleanly, so perhaps the mirror box is plastic? The camera mount should spin right off, but it hasn't and I'm sure previous owner tried. There must be a pin or lever that is binding it in place. The lock pin, which is near the 2 in the previous post, is missing, so that's not the holdup, but look around there closely to be sure. It may be on the black ring, perhaps a catch that is touching a screw that you can unscrew? I'm thinking that the catch for an M42 to K mount is the culprit, since that's the other locking mechanism on this mount. Look inside a camera body to get the lay of the land. This would be so easy if it were in my hands.

Once you free it, you will have to check the lens carefully for collateral damage. This was pulled out of a camera's mirror box, and that took major impact.
01-23-2015, 08:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Innocent question... why is the camera mount still on the lens? A recent thread on lens theft... has this one been ripped from the camera because the thief couldn't find the release button?
01-23-2015, 08:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Honestly, I don't know what that mount is doing here. This guy sent it over and his description of the item was "very well preserved, in working order..." . My fault for not checking it right there and then
I'm now trying to get something useful out if it.

At first I didn't even notice it's the mount. I thought something is missing.

Last edited by ZeljkoS; 01-24-2015 at 03:21 AM.
01-24-2015, 02:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I managed to remove the mount from the lens. It looks like it's working, but there is a problem with focus and zoom ring. The focus ring is hard to turn while the zoom is fine.
When I mount it to my k-5IIs, it zooms while focusing, like it's got power zoom or something.

Last edited by ZeljkoS; 09-04-2015 at 08:21 AM.
01-24-2015, 05:48 AM   #14
Pentaxian

With this type of problem that may be an indication of why the camera's mount was still attached, sounds like it has been dropped ripping the lens off the camera. Hows the focus, Does it seem off at all?
01-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

[Got this lens in a trade, obviously mount is damaged. Not sure if I can return it]

If this was a major part of the trade, I would certainly contact the seller & ask to return it for a refund. If it was just "thrown in" as a bonus, then no. The seller obviously did not disclose that this lens was damaged.