Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2015, 11:33 AM   #1

Confused about sizing for lens caps and filters

I recently bought a K50 and noticed that the lens cap for the 18-55 lens didn't fit the 50-200 lens and vice versa. Neither do the filters I bought fit the zoom lens although they do fit the 18-55 . I have now lost the lens cap for the zoom and have no idea how to order the right size that will fit. Help!

01-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The 50-200 and 18-55 are the focus ranges/distance on the lenses. If you look on the front on your lenses, you will see something like 52mm etc. this is the size needed for your lens caps/filters.
01-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
On the front rim of the lens, there's a little circle with a slash through it and a number next to it. That is the filter diameter. That's the size you need to buy.

It may also be elsewhere too.

See the bottom of the lens, where it says "17-70mm 1:2.8-4 DC [symbol] 72." That symbol is what you want to find. For this lens, the filter diameter is 72mm.
01-24-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-Zoom-Lenses-c43.html pick the lenses and check the specs (you will be looking for the filter diameter specification).

Assuming you have the WR lenses. the diameter is 52 mm for the 18-55 and 49mm for the 50-200. I have the 18-55 WR and the number is also printed on the front of the lens; the 50-200 will probably also have it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tish99 Quote
I have now lost the lens cap for the zoom
By the way, both lenses are zoom lenses, so you have lost the lens cap for both ??

01-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-Zoom-Lenses-c43.html pick the lenses and check the specs (you will be looking for the filter diameter specification).

Assuming you have the WR lenses. the diameter is 52 mm for the 18-55 and 49mm for the 50-200. I have the 18-55 WR and the number is also printed on the front of the lens; the 50-200 will probably also have it.

By the way, both lenses are zoom lenses, so you have lost the lens cap for both ??
Thanks folks - really helpful.. It is just the 50-200 lens cap I have lost. I now know to buy a 49mm replacement. Sooooo much to learn!

---------- Post added 01-24-15 at 12:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GrimWolf Quote
The 50-200 and 18-55 are the focus ranges/distance on the lenses. If you look on the front on your lenses, you will see something like 52mm etc. this is the size needed for your lens caps/filters.
Thank you - all clear now

---------- Post added 01-24-15 at 12:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
On the front rim of the lens, there's a little circle with a slash through it and a number next to it. That is the filter diameter. That's the size you need to buy.

It may also be elsewhere too.

See the bottom of the lens, where it says "17-70mm 1:2.8-4 DC [symbol] 72." That symbol is what you want to find. For this lens, the filter diameter is 72mm.
The 40-200 lens didn't have it written on the outside (although the 18-55 did) but it was written on the inside. I think I need to buy a few spares for each.
01-24-2015, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I decided many years ago that the best way to avoid losing lens caps is to never, ever, EVER set them down anywhere. When you take it off of the lens, put it in your pocket. If you take it out of your pocket, put it on the lens.
01-24-2015, 12:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I decided many years ago that the best way to avoid losing lens caps is to never, ever, EVER set them down anywhere. When you take it off of the lens, put it in your pocket. If you take it out of your pocket, put it on the lens.
Exactly the same thing I do. Always to the pocket, never, ever to the table, countertop, etc. To the camera
bag is a good alternate if handy.

Those lens leashes can seem tempting but in my experience they're far more annoying than useful.
01-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #8

+1 - If it's in your pocket the worst you can do is sit on it!

Phil

01-24-2015, 12:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Not to change the subject, but a few other lessons I learned are:

Close the zippers on your bag even if you are planning on using it 5 minutes later. Nothing worse then forgetting and picking the bag up later and watching something fall out.

Close your memory card door. Same reason. You forget it's open and almost break it off putting your camera in the bag.
01-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #10
Banned

On a different note.... about filters, unless you want them for protection, get just one for the largest diameter lens you have, then get step up/down rings to fit the smaller lenses. Far cheaper!
01-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
Close your memory card door. Same reason. You forget it's open and almost break it off putting your camera in the bag.
Why would you put your camera in a bag if it has no memory card in it?

I always leave the door open until the card goes back in. Same applies when the battery is charging. There is nothing worse than going off for a day's shooting and either of those items are missing.
01-24-2015, 06:42 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
There is nothing worse than going off for a day's shooting and either of those items are missing.
I always shoot a shot before I leave.
01-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I always shoot a shot before I leave.
Same here. Just a quick check to make sure everything is working.
01-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Why would you put your camera in a bag if it has no memory card in it?

I always leave the door open until the card goes back in. Same applies when the battery is charging. There is nothing worse than going off for a day's shooting and either of those items are missing.
The same reason one would lose their lens cap.

You can leave your lens cap open 1000 times with no problems, but just once do something silly and regret it. And I have several cards in my bag and as well as back up batteries. So it's normal for me to go out shooting with a battery in the charger and a memory card sitting on my monitor.
01-25-2015, 12:06 AM   #15
Forum Member

That's very true. I was going to go out shooting sat morning, and found I'd left my camera on standby when I last put it away, so the battery was flat. After charging it was all a bit too late. Spare batteries are now on my purchase list.